Level of Noise in an MX-3

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
*Y*

Level of Noise in an MX-3

Post by *Y* »

Well I guess the title says it all. How loud is the noise inside the car when driving? Also, is there anything I can do to decrease it?

Thanks.
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

How loud is the noise inside the car when driving?
Well. My car is insanely loud inside. Damn aftermarket mufflers.
Also, is there anything I can do to decrease it?
You could buy me some dynomat. That should help the inside noise at least. Thanks for the offer
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

mine is killer but i have no interior
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
twoie

Post by twoie »

mine annoyed me so bad I went back to the stock muffler
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

twoie wrote:mine annoyed me so bad I went back to the stock muffler
You can take it to the next level by doing some soundproofing. There are some recent posts in the Car Stereo Forum on available products out there.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
twoie

Post by twoie »

jschrauwen

I had thought about this, and have read all the posts from dynamat to roofing paper, but chose to do nothing. Since I'm not worried about proformance the stock muffler is ok with me. Someday when the k8 gives up the goast perhaps I'll consider going with more hp and have to deal with the noise.

twoie
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

twoie wrote:jschrauwen
I had thought about this, and have read all the posts from dynamat to roofing paper, but chose to do nothing. Since I'm not worried about proformance the stock muffler is ok with me. Someday when the k8 gives up the goast perhaps I'll consider going with more hp and have to deal with the noise.
twoie
No worries. If that day comes, you won't necessarily have to anticipate any increased noise levels. By retaining a fairly stock (restrictive) small diameter exhaust system, you may never really notice much change to the engine noise level. In fact, I believe the greatest noise creator when at highway speeds is not the engine in either case but mostly the road/wind noise that penetrates through the car's body panels. Therefore, a sound deadening attempt will significantly reduce those unwanted sounds/decibles. Those that usually attempt a sound deadening project would either be SQ types or those with a very modified MX's that produce unwanted levels of noise through their modified exhaust systems. FWIW
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

There are two MX-3's in the parking lot at the moment. One is mine, one is my friends.
I bought mine with a bonafied cannon on the back of it (Straight-through) and that sucker was loud. LOUD.
My friend still has his stock muffler, and there's no issue with exhaust noise on that.
However, I still wanted to keep some performance in my exhaust, and I went with a flowmaster 60 series muffler to replace the big bertha cannon.
VERY nice! while it does give more noise than stock, most of what I hear is vibrations because of the piss-poor job they did at installing it (rubbing on heat shield, I'm fixing it!) It's slightly louder than stock but sounds incredibly nice.

If anyone wants to up their exhaust with a very comfortable exhaust noise level, I very much recommend this muffler. It sounds beautiful and keeps a low note.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”