About to get my ZE

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
uk_mx3_guy

About to get my ZE

Post by uk_mx3_guy »

Just a few quick questions,

I am going to get my ZE motor on saturday, along with a xedos 9 IM, TB & ECU

Is there anything else I should be gettin at the same time?

I am planning to turbo the ZE early next year and have been told that the ZE will take up to 8PSI Stock, however is there anything internally worth upgrading before I boost it? since I may aswell do it now before it goes in :)

Also what changes do people advise to the brakes & suspension?

Thanks in advance for the help

(I have searched for this stuff but not found any direct answers)

Jon
UK 94 2.5L KL-ZE V6 MX3, KL-68 TB, Chipped ECU, Green Air Kit, Exceedy Race Clutch, Hand made exhaust system, Goodridge Braided Brake Lines, Black Diamond Drilled & Grooved Disks with Black Diamond Predator Pads
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

As far as maintenance on the motor before you swap it in, i would replace just about everything that is a pain to replace when the motor is in the car. Timing belt, auto tensioner, front and rear main seals etc. Just use your best judgement, and save yourself the head ache now by replacing anything that looks the least bit suspect.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

On top of what's mentioned by blaze, I'd strongly suggest to hold onto the K8 for some other bits that you might need down the road. Depending on which ZE you get you may have to transfer the coolant filler neck casting from the K8 that has the 2 coolant thermosensors. I say this because there is no indication as to what year MX you have since that is always a caveat for decisions made for specific upgrades / changes. It would be in you best interest to include some details about your MX in your sig block. You'll also need the JE50 VAF from the K8. FWIW, I'd even consider retaining the oem airbox with a K&N filter replacement. Another thing to consider is that the ZE's ECU will be an OBD I type plug-ins (3). If you MX is OBD II than there's a bit of rewiring involved to convert to the OBD I connectors.
That said, I wouldn't even consider a KLZE if it was absolutely positive that you were going to be boosted. I'd source a KLDE for a mere pittance, perhaps install some lower compression pistons and stronger rods, valve springs and retainers and go for a higher boost scenario. Probably a safer route in boost is your direction. Yes you're quite limited to the amount of boost for a ZE. I wouldn't consider anything over 7psi to ensure engine longevity.
Suspension wise, just about all of your answers can be found in the appropriate forum.
just my $.02
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
uk_mx3_guy

Post by uk_mx3_guy »

Thanks Guys,

Sorry, Its a 94 MX (UK), I would go down the DE route but it seems a very hard motor to find here in the UK, also im only plannin to run around 5-6 PSI if I get around to boosting it :)

I will check out the brake/suspension forums again

Jon
UK 94 2.5L KL-ZE V6 MX3, KL-68 TB, Chipped ECU, Green Air Kit, Exceedy Race Clutch, Hand made exhaust system, Goodridge Braided Brake Lines, Black Diamond Drilled & Grooved Disks with Black Diamond Predator Pads

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”