new rim and tire time!!! please someone answer:(

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
hgallegos915

new rim and tire time!!! please someone answer:(

Post by hgallegos915 »

Ok yes i suck.. after being on my ghetto apc rims and HUGE r16 tires.. In decided to go and buy some enw rims and tires. Im looking to get something simble. maybe silget with black around or black wheels with chrome outline..anywho im at 17.1. I saw the post where a dude change tires and went to low 16. What tire size and rim size would be optimal for a non dropped mx3. stock suspension for now. Please guys i need any input wethyer its negative of positive everything helps. My current tire set up is 15 inch rim with 205 55 r 16 i think rims are 16.. anywho. I want the best set up. I got noly around 1300 laying around and local la tire and chrom,e has tons of wheel;s between 600 and 1200.

----
aa wrong forum..can someone move it to the tire and suspensiopn sectionpelase!
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Take that 1300 and put a Wet Nitrous kit on it with a Whalbro 255 High Pressure fuel pump and a adjustable fuel pressure regulator turned up about 10psi. With your current wheels a 75-shot would be a lot of fun from 2nd gear and higher. Just make sure you start off jetting it rich and keep the AFR around 12:1 when spraying at WOT. If you have a KF and only turning a 17 .... your car probably needs to be tuned. If you've done the mods you have listed and no tuning it's probably starving for fuel! Pull the spark plugs out and look at them. Dry black soot means to rich, to hot is pretty obviouse as it will have some blistering or brownish white like ash on them. You need to utilize a wide band AFR gauge to tune well.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

well im just going to go ze... i wonder why this kf was so slow.. maybe i need more fuel pressure like u say? ... :*(
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

I agree there is probably some tuning issues going on for that car to run that time. Im not familiar with the various options of swapping ecms and manifolds, but i'm a great mechanic. whats a KF? My K8 is stock as far as injectors,ecm and internals and i'm down to a 16.2 at sea level. Manifold vacuum is a great indicator of engine integrity, low vacuum is more likely to be caused by fuel ratio,cam or compression problems over a vacuum leak (of course vacuum leaks change AF ratio) A good stock engine i.e. stock cams and a 14.7/1 AF ratio should be 18-21" at sea level. Could you please review what changes you have made to the ecm,engine etc? Sorry im a little slow on some of the abbreviations and eng/manifold/ecm options. I saw somewhere on the site where that was covered by i can't find it tonight? :?
92 MX-3 GS, KL-ZE, OBX headers, 2-1/2" exhaust, XL Performance muffler, AASCO Aluminum flywheel,Pheno spacers,APEXi Airflow computer,Eibach springs,Tockico struts, Toyo RA1 205/50ZR15s, B&M short shifter. MS control arm Bushings, SS clutch line, SS brake hoses
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

im around 3600 above seal level.. i think 16.9 is the gastest i can go..
-hec

mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

y not invest ur wheel and tire money into a klde, installed with some mods. or a nitrous sytem and some steelies. the good thing about steelies is their light and a 14" steelie with a set of slicks will hook up with nos and still not weigh to much. and save u money 6 steelies 2 slicks maybe 600$ used. or use ur stock rims put the money into the klde sell ur rims nitrous and 14 steelie(fronts) with slicks if ur lookin to get the fastest e/t for ur money-the stock 5 spoke 15's look awesome painted gunmetal-17" too big and heavy especially for the level of power u have.just my 2 cents-if ur looking for a set of slicks on 14" steelies my buddy has a set he may let go pm me if interested
dohc b6, intake, exhaust, miata cams ready to go in
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

mzdamx3rsdohc wrote:y not invest ur wheel and tire money into a klde, installed with some mods.
He has a ZE already...
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

yeah and i love it! my 16 inch rims are a good combo.. just need smaller tire :) well thinner.
-hec

JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

If you have a standard 16x7 rim you can go to a 205/40-R16 which is a rubber band on that size rim. Sizes I've ran from smallest to largest:

205/40-R16
205/45-R16
225/45-R16
245/50-R16

The smaller the tire diameter the faster your car will accelerate...um...until you get to where I did and then bigger is better! By changing tire diameter you are actually effectivly changing the final drive ration of your transmission. Smaller tire is making the final drive smaller...like a Ford guy swaping a 3.25 final drive ring gear for a 4.11 ring gear. Or you can think of it like the multi sprocket chain drive system on say a 18-speed Mountain Bike. My car for example really benifitted from a taller final drive because it I can't track up with the lower gear ratios...car makes 500HP and a BOAT load of torque under boost. With the 225/45-R16 tires I could turn the tires over all the way to 120MPH....smoke don't make the car fast! It ain't no use making power if you can't get it to the ground!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”