replaced ignition coil today....still problems???

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
92MX3black

replaced ignition coil today....still problems???

Post by 92MX3black »

So earlier i posted a post about my RPMs were at 2700 and than they went straight to 0 and the car shut off. After getting it towed, a hour later it started right back up. It will shut off even when the car hasnt warmed up yet. I go to NAPA and buy a ignition coil because thats what most people thought it was. I put everything back in, start the car. The RPMS go to 2000rpm (not normal), then slowly settle to 1500 before getting really choppy and in the next few seconds the car stalled out. After stalling it will start right back up , but it will not stay running. Any suggestions or ideas of what may be wrong now??? Atleast before it would shut off while driving and now it wont even stay running. I am having a rough time with this car, any help would be appretiated!!!!
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

The issue is usally the HEI, not the coil. Most add an external coil when the HEI goes out b/c it is an easy time to do so. You need to make sure you cut the coil from inside the disty or it is still trying to work. Also, do the HEI mod and I bet your car runs fine.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

check your timing while your at it, apparently the ecu can adjust small amounts, but if it was well out then it'd stall

oh yeah, check your intake hose for leaks too!

if you get the chance, pinch a working distributor and try it out, double check the leads etc (easy to get wrong), at least then you'll know for sure where the problem is coming from. I say this after replacing a starter motor when all i needed was a new battery lol!
Last edited by Aston Wards on September 16th, 2006, 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
MazdaNoob123

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

Well its possible its your ignitor, but the syptoms are strange.
It might a be a o2 sensor. Trying pulling the codes.
I still cant find anywhere in the shop manual where it says there should be a 1in hole in the side of the block. (Blown K8) #6 rod thrown through block.
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

I'm gonna say it's your ignition module, but that's built into your disty. I just dealt with this problem for the... 4th time?

I'd suggest HEI or a new disty.

Oh, and a tip: If you're leaking coolant from the coolant filler neck or rad cap, fix it. Otherwise it may leak onto the connector to your CAS, which may cause a short and cause problems elsewhere in your electrical system. I'm actually suspicious that this is related to the ignitor issue that many people are having.
Cody
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

sounds like your HEI
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
92MX3black

Post by 92MX3black »

Well i did some research and , to answer some suggestions: I just replaced the 02 sensors, there are no cracks in the air intake hose, crankshaft position sensor, doesnt seem to be any vacumn leaks, replaced the ignition coil inside of the distributor,cap and rotor, last night i checked the timing with a gun and it seemed okay. The only other thing i can think of is the whole distributor is bad. The car was shutting off while driving, now i can barely keep it running. And a added cpmment, Why the hell are parts so expensive for this car!?!?! I wish i would've known that before purchase. But my next question is where can i find a distributor without going broke. I have tried ebay and salvage yards around my location. I dont get this car, it seemed like it was running fine after i put the 02s on and the crankshaft position sensor...... i need some help with this thing please.
This is just my daily driver with no intentions on butchering anything up or modifying, i just want to keep it running for a while longer. Thanks for any input
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

well i do think its the famous hei.. that goes WAY WAY faster than the coil. You can check the coil for resistance. Im sire its the hei tho.. just tday i fixed mine. I had a bad ground to the externam hei that i had made. I tightened, redid the wires. Sealed them properly and it runs . The rpms would go as you describe.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”