0-60 and shift times

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

ahhh, ya i ordered the small one. ill take it back tomorrow and get the bigger one. and yes mine does ping very loudly haha thanks
Jon
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
boniclyd

Post by boniclyd »

Yeah the mechanic told me that both would fit, so I got the small to start with too. So I thought that I totaly screwed somthing up the way it was pinging. Then I went ahead and traded it out for the large one and that did it.
They both fit, but that small one ain't right for our cars.

Make sure you bypass the CPU before you set the timing and before you reconnect the neg battery terminal hold down the brake pedal for 20 seconds to reset the ECU. Then reconnect the battery.

Hope this helps.
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

well whats weird is my last rotor fit the new one. so the last disty that worked was the same size but i think i found my problem. when i timed the valves the crank timing was off, so when i went to time it the whole ignition timing was off. the timing belt was off. so im going to re time it today and see what happens. boniclyd does your blade from your disty fit all the way inside the exhaust cam? or does it go int here half ways? now with your shaft do you mean the blade? or the rotor cam? at kragen all they said that was diff was just the rotor cam now the blade that goes into the cam. haha confusing, but thnx
boniclyd

Post by boniclyd »

OK I see what your saying. The rotor cam is different but, the blade on the back of the disty is different also. Their is a big and small shaft (blade) size distys. That is why the rotor buttons are different sizes, due to the shaft (blade) size being different. My disty shaft fits all the way in the cam. It starts to get snug at the halfway point. You can losen the cam bolts on top some more and it will help. But you will have to push pretty hard to get the disty all the way in. Let me know how it goes.

The disty comes in .475 diameter and .526 diameter.
I'm using the .526 diameter disty.
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductLis ... istributor
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

ahh ok ya i think ima take mine back today and ill see about getting another one thnx for the help. what does suck my new disty leaks a ton of oil LOL stupid thing
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

i just got back from kragen returned the old one and ill get the new one in tomorrow. ill tell you guys how it goes, wow i found a oil spot on the ground last night and thought it was nothing but dang opened up my hood. bam oil everywhere, the disty was spinnin out oil and the valve cover gasket went as well. oil all over the tranny getting burnt up and over some wiring and over the head on the side. lol fun times thnx for the help boniclyd, did your old rotor fit? or did you have to buy a new one i dont see a big difference between the two rotors
boniclyd

Post by boniclyd »

It is a different rotor button for the large disty.
THey look the same but just a little bigger.
Take all parts with you and compare everthing with the new parts.
Also if your part stores are like mine, they don't carry the gasket for the disty. ONLY the MAZA carries it. Just buy some gasket sealer, it comes in a red tube (high temp sealer) ask the parts guy he should have it.
Use this to install the new one. Clean the suface and apply a small amount. This will seal your disty and keep it from leaking. DON'T GET ANY INSIDE THE ENGINE. Ask if you need any help,
I already learned the mistakes with mine. Let me know how it goes.
Also just ask if you need any pointers on setting the timing.
Mine was a little tricky. You have two marks on the balancer, but only one is the right one to set with the 10 deg mark.
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

ahh ok thnx for the info i really appreciate it...this is just buggin me with this thing haha...ya i see 2 which 1 is the right one? so if the balancer rotates clockwise and lets say number 1 mark is on 11 and number 2 mark is at 12(reference to a clock) which one is right? oh can i keep my old cap with the new disty?
boniclyd

Post by boniclyd »

The yellow mark is on the right and the white is on the left.
They will be with in an inch of each other. The left is the one you line up with the 10 and the right you line up with T.
Mine did not have any color so, I used chalk to mark them so I could see.
Inspect your cap inside for marks of any kind. If it looks clean then you can use it, if not then buy a new one. I changed out the disty, cap, rotor, plugs and plug wires. My gas milage increased from 31 to 33.5 mpg.

Let me know how it goes.
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

ahh ok thanks ima go pick it up right now, ill let you know.
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

well i got the new disty, bought both size rotors and tried both of them and it still runs like s---. so guess im on to the next thing which is the fuel pump. if i advance the timing past 20 degrees it runs so amazingly fast, if i leave it at 10 it put puts around and im gettin outrun by taurus's and mini vans. one thing that is weird my car wont go faster then 70mph on the freeway the needle wont go any farther like the engine tops out there. lol thnx boniclyd i really appreciate your help on here, i set the timing right at 10 degrees and just craps out.

*does anybody know where to buy a Fuel pump tank seal? i got the pump and the strainer just dont have that seal. would it be a mazda part? kragen said it would take them 9 days to get it in. thnx*
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carco ... ttype,6262

It says **Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 7 business days** - but mine came in 3 days.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

really? dang i bought one at kragen the other day, but if i buy it online right now prob wont ship till monday and who knows where it ships from since ur in MI and im in cali. i get mine from kragen the 31. ill just drive the tank till the light comes on then yank the tank out. hows your car aries?
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

I am working on a BP swap from a 95 Protege for my car. My stock motor is doing somewhat ok after i blocked off EGR and bypassed the FPR solenoids

You dont have to pull the fuel tank out to get to the fuel pump - just look under the back seat. Also it might be a good idea to clean and flush the tank while you are at it.

Since your car runs better with 20 degree timing - i think timing is the culprit and not fuel system. If your new fuel components dont make any difference - why not try getting new cams or maybe even performance cams or miata cams.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

i dont need to take the tank out? what about to clean it? well after i put my new pump in there and see what happens. hopefully it fixes it, one thing that is weird u cant hear the pump prime the system when u turn the key to on. its strange, goodluck on the swap aries

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”