0-60 and shift times

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Ok here are the marks as in the shop manual. Did you have the gears removed from the camshafts at any point in time?

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

heres what i did last night, lined up the crank and lined up the intake cam on E pointing toward the line. had my brother hold the exhaust cam with a wrench and that was on I and i slipped the belt on, i still think the belt was just a lil loose maybe by 1 tooth but it wouldnt even start. the only reason i would think is if the shop worked on the head and moved the cam gear so basically I is E now.

well i had the head worked on by a shop, im not positive they removed the cam gears because i didnt get anything to extensive done on it, ima take it off again and take pictures as i do it again today. but yes i did have the E and the I on the center part, ill just try again today. thnx guys
jon
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I will look at my spare cams & cam gears this weekend.. but if I recall correctly.. these gears can be put on backwards as well.. Not sure what the difference would be.. but I know I used this diagram when I was reassembling my B6 after I replaced the HLA's last february and I havent had any issues with my engine. Power is normal for a ATX car. Just make sure that when you have the marks lined up like they are in that pic that the mark on your crank pully is lined up with the 0 on the timing gauge on the plastic shroud (not easy to see I know but definately need to be at 0)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

ya i dunno, when we finished the build when me and my dad were doing it last time we were wondering at E and I the lobes on the cams were all wrong and the whole process just wouldnt work. so my dad switched the I to E and bam started right up. im not sure what other problems my engine has but to me it seems to be timed right on E. where is the O on the timing gauge whats that?
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

The 0 (zero) is way down on the front passenger side of the engine. Its a royal pain in the arse to see. Its where you line up the crank timing mark (The place you point your timing light at to set your timing)

Easy to find in the shop manual :)

Tunes67

Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

ohhh haah that. ya thats such a b---- to see, we had to paint our timing mark on the crank cuz it was so hard to see. ill check some more stuff and try again today and ill tell you guys how it goes. thnx tunes
jon
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I dunno why Mazda did this.. but its apparent on My RS crank pulley and on my trucks crank pulley.. but there are multiple marks on the pulley's. You want the FIRST mark or LEADING mark. Use this one when you set your timing. I havent looked for the mark yet on my GS crank pulley.. but it wouldnt surprise me if there were multiple marks on it as well. Remember.. your engine rotates clockwise.. so when you are staring at the marks.. the mark on the far right is the mark you want to use to set your timing.

Tunes67

Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

haha ya i dunno y either, on my dads saturn and our suzuki only have one mark and my special lil mazda has 2 spots. more chances to time it wrong hahah. ill take pictures when i get it put back together and get it running. my bro wanted to learn how to put a timing belt on but he had it off by 3 teeth and not even timed right. turned it on wow it ran like s--- haha it was funny
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

well looks like bochek was right. the exhuast cam was off when my dad did it, bam started up alot more pull. but now i got this weird noise whenever i press on the gas, like keys rattling or something. doesnt affect engine performance . i cant currently set the ignition timing for some reason the disty is stuck and wont rotate. lol it was really hard to put in and we had to hit it with a hammer and a screwdriver before but now it wont even move. so i dunno if its totally off or something. very strange but got it on and runs better. ima put in a new fuel pump next week. thnx guys, oh if it was a bearing problem that im having would it happen all the time? it only happens when u press on the gas and in gear and not in gear
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

got the disty to move but my dad broke the timing light lol but wow what a difference and its not even timed right.were gonna buy a new one and get this baby timed and take it out for a test drive. thank you guys for everything this car has alot more pep. and its still awaiting a new clutch and fuel pump.
Jon
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

well heres the weird thing got a new timing light, put that sucker at 10 degrees started her up took her for a drive and it has less power. and then i got to think if the exhaust cam is messed up and set to E instead of I then the ignition timing is gonna be messed with too, at 10 degrees the disty is leaning towards the bumper but it pulled soooo much better leaning the other way. what would cause this? at 10 degrees it would kick back at me and seem to miss and like u shift to the next gear and ur not being pulled anymore like it was the other way. haha weird lil car
boniclyd

Post by boniclyd »

The firing order in the online manual is wrong.
You can ask customMX or alien dude.
The order you have it in is correct.
3 1
4 2

How about your disty, mine acted like yours (minus the backfiring)
and it was the disty.

Hope this helps.
boniclyd

Post by boniclyd »

The firing order on your disty is correct.
The online manual is wrong.

It might be your disty, mine acted the same way with lose of power.

3 1
4 2 (this is correct)
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

ya i replaced the disty bout 2 weeks ago. well i was thinking, if the exhaust cam was off it would kick the disty out of time right? since the disty is controlled by the rotation of the exhaust cam. if i advance it wow it runs great but it pings like a b----, cant have that. but if i set it at 10 or anything close to TDC it would run like s--- but it wouldnt ping.
boniclyd

Post by boniclyd »

Well this was my expeirience with the disty.
The disty comes in two shaft sizes. (small and large)
I originaly got the small shaft size and installed it. My car pinged very loudly and sounded like it was about to crap out.
Then I took it back and got the large size disty and installed it.
Set the timing once again and it runs great, NO PINGING.
Also all the power is back.

Maybe this is your problem. Also did you bypass the computer when you set the timing. Hope this helps.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”