Forcing water out of rad and overheating, stuttering, etc

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
corbanbrook

Forcing water out of rad and overheating, stuttering, etc

Post by corbanbrook »

Earlier this summer I noticed there was a hole in the rad after the temp gauge slowly started to rise higher and higher as I drove it through out the week.

First I thought it was a stuck thermostat because the temp would increase to the redline and then quickly drop back down to half. But the condition got worse and worse.

I put a brand new radiator and thermostat in, refilled coolant and it worked like a dream. Better then it had for a long time. rough idle seeking at stop lights fixed (guessing that was air in the coolant system).

After 2 weeks of driving I notice that the temp gauge is red again and then it bounces back to half.. i think it might just be a fluke but over the course of the week the temp gauge keeps rising higher and higher, car starts to sound like s---, and makes rattling noises. idle is at 2000rpm. at 2500 rpm it makes a rasping sound.

checked the coolant and it was way down, refilled and all the problems dissapear. Radiator is brand new and isnt leaking, its being forced out.

What is causing this? Problem seems to be getting worse and worse and im refilling every week. Other then that the car performs perfectly after a I fill the coolant.
92 MX-3 1.6L 4 Cyl SOHC
MPG: 21.5city/38hwy
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

check other places for leaks, such as the hoses that connect to the radiator and also the hoses going to the heater core.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”