Why won't the guage cluster come out???

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Wilhelm_Fink

Why won't the guage cluster come out???

Post by Wilhelm_Fink »

All screws are off, still can't get it out. Ive tried searching about this but for some reason nobody seems to have ever had this problem.

I probably need to unplug something round the back, but theres no room to get around it!??
HELP before I break something (not like a nail or anything)
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

You got the screws for the brackets that hold it around the edge of the cluster? (brackets go from cluster to dash and can be seen with the cluster bezel off)
After that the wiring is pretty short, but you should be able to get it out a few inches. Barely enough for my hand to get back there to unplug the wires. You can get your hand up there from under the dash, but it is hard. Have one person sit in the passanger seat and lightly pull on the cluster and you fish your hand up there to feel for the wires that are being tugged on. Once you ound them see if you can feed some extra wire tword the bezel. The wires could have gotten wedged on something when the factory put the guage in and pushed the wires back.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Wilhelm_Fink

Post by Wilhelm_Fink »

thanks, I always get there in the end :)
Wilhelm_Fink

Post by Wilhelm_Fink »

Scratch that, it isn't working!

I think your right about the wires being trapped on something, theres hardly any movement at all when I pull on the cluster, and playing around under the dash didn't help either

Might have to give up on this one.... anybody want indiglo guages? :(
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

have you unscrewed the speedo cable....
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

V6s use a wire not a cable. It is taped up with another harness so it should slide out. You must be missing a screw or something...
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

PATDIESEL wrote:V6s use a wire not a cable. It is taped up with another harness so it should slide out. You must be missing a screw or something...
i dont see anywhere that he says he has a v6 or not.

Anyway, if you have a 4-cyl, you need to unhook the speedo cable where it goes into the tranny in order to give you enough slack to unhook the cluster.

Here is a picture of where the speedogear goes into the transmission:

Right where it says "tranny fluid fill hole." The speedo-gear is held on by a 10 or 12mm bolt. undo it and pull the gear straight up.

This will allow you to free up the cluster, and disconnect the speedo cable at the rear of the cluster.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

AHH wise Perryson. He did not say and thus I might very well be wrong. Somewhere I got the idea it was a V6. Guess I need to remember all you small guys too. (hehehe)
Yeah, the four banger cluster won't budge until you give some slack on the speedo cable by unhooking it from the tranny.
Wilhelm_Fink

Post by Wilhelm_Fink »

Yep, its a 1.6,

I finally managed to unhook the cable from underneath the dash.
It was a pain, wish i'd seen your last posts before hand.

Oh well, thanks anyway, be much easier next time...

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”