crank bolt help?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
AggressiveST

crank bolt help?

Post by AggressiveST »

I broke a timing belt in my MX-3 and I cant' get the crank bolt off. I don't have an impact wrench because my ex stole it and I just quit my job so I don't have the money to buy one.

I've tried putting a breaker bar on it and turning the engine over. I even had my g/f try to turn it over and I was able to push the breaker bar and turn the engine backwards.

I've even put one of the 4 surrounding bolt in and wedged a wrench in there to hold it and the wrench pops out when I put torque on it.

Anybody have any tips or tricks that might help?
93 MX-3(dohc I4), 86 crx si
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

do u have the engine apart? or just the timing belt off? i had the oil pan off so i could see the crank, i just stuck a piece of wood under there and it lodged in place and bam the crank bolt loosened right up. im not sure how ud do it with everything on, maybe a 1/2 drive socket wrench and stick it in there, thats my only guess
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

i got your answer. put it in 4th gear and have someone step on the break. you'll be able to get it off like that.

Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
AggressiveST

Post by AggressiveST »

I still haven't gotten it off. I put it in gear, had someone hold the brake and used an impact on it. Still won't come off. Is this thing reverse threaded or something? wtf?!?!
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

i have had the same problem on a number or mazda car since i work on them sometimes they are just a pain to get off even with a big impact. sometimes there just like that.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
AggressiveST

Post by AggressiveST »

I even put a breaker bar on it and was able to turn the engine backwards while my gf was trying to start it. I don't get it
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

AggressiveST wrote:I even put a breaker bar on it and was able to turn the engine backwards while my gf was trying to start it. I don't get it
that was a dumb idea.

anyways, use the breaker bar when she is holding the brake. if it doesn't work, you need a bigger breaker bar.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”