Problem with clunking wheels

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Jarago

Problem with clunking wheels

Post by Jarago »

my mx-3 (rs) has a pain in the a-- problem and wondering if anyone knows what it is or if it happened to them.

When I go over little or big bumps my suspension goes "clunk" and sometimes makes abit of a sound like metal, it especially does this when I am turning to the right and it seems to alternate between the two front wheels. I did a search and can't find anything so I thought I'd post. What would possibly be doing this?

Thanks guys.
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

put your front up on jack stands, pull/push on the top and bottom of the wheel, also try pulling and pushing on the sides of the wheel. while the car is up, look at your coil springs and make sure they are not broken.

another possibility is your CV joints. what does the noise sound like when you turn? is it a popping sound? does it do it all the time when you turn or only when you turn quickly?

let us know what you find.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

i had the same sypmtoms - turned out i needed new struts
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
Jarago

Post by Jarago »

Thanks for the replies,

I'll be propping up my car here shortly, buying a couple stands today.

I had my CV joints checked the other day in the shop and they were fine, and I have new springs/struts in the front which are fine, aligned and tight.

The noise originally started when turning to the right and went over a little bump. Its not a popping noise, it sounds like a clunk, almost like something is bottoming out. Now the noise is there all the time whether I'm turning or not and the clunking now sounds like clunking and sometimes metal clunking as well.
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

yea just giving the wheel a good shake should make it clunk since it is happening all the time. at least then you will know which corner it is coming from.

i had a clunking during hard right turns, it turned out to be a bad driver's rear strut.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

check the sway bar links.... i had the same problem and found that mine were loose. i replaced them and well it helped alot and the sound is gone.
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
Jarago

Post by Jarago »

95 rs wrote:check the sway bar links.... i had the same problem and found that mine were loose. i replaced them and well it helped alot and the sound is gone.
I just had them replaced at the same time I had them check the cv joints and boots, didn't fix the prob :(
DJsMX-3

Post by DJsMX-3 »

I could be a combo of worn out strutbearings and coilslap in your new springs?

Coilslap you fix by putting a rubberhose over the part of the coil that makes contact when the suspension gets a little compressed.

Strutbearings you check by getting someone to turn the steering wheel while you touch the spring and feel if it moves jumpy and not smooth.

You can check thoose two things quite easily and if you want a more detailed how to check, there was another post about it not so long ago here in the suspension forum.
1992 MX-3 V6 Z1 Arbet VIII 17 x 8" -35mm Proracing Springs on KYB Sports, Corksport Strutbars, Brembo Cross Drilled & Slotted, Goodridge SS Brakelines, Corksport SS Clutchline, Mazdaspeed Enginemounts & Front arm bushings, All SRD bushings in shifterlinkage and cross member, Pacesetter Shortshifter, KN Conefilter, Custom SS Exhaust, Stereo Oldschool Goodies Denon & Phoenix Gold, Boston Pro & Cerwin Vega and lots of other small goodies
Jarago

Post by Jarago »

bump stops supposed to be down by the wheel or up by the strut mounts?

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”