cel problem

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
kakarot135

cel problem

Post by kakarot135 »

Okay, I searched and found out how to check the cel on my 93 Mx3, came back as code 3, three short flashes, from what I have found this should be the Camshoft positioning sensor. does the 4cyl sohc even have a camshaft positioning sensor in it. I checked the local auto parts stores and they say that there is not one requierd for my car. What else could be throwing this code. Any help would be appreciated.
Kakarot 135
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

same code can mean two different things. So here are the codes for your car. Good luck.

1 long flash = 10
1 short = 1

so -> Long Long Long = 30
-> short short short = 3

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fuel Injected (Before 95)
Except RX-7 (RX-7 See Below)
1 Ignition Pulse.
2 Distributor - No 2 Signal.
2 No 2 Signal (626 and MX-6).
2 Crank Angle Sensor - No 2 Signal (1992-1995 929, MX-3 1.8L).
3 Distributor - G or G1 Signal.
3 Crank Angle Sensor - G Signal (MX-3 1.8L).
4 Distributor - No #1 Signal or G2 Signal.
4 Crank Angle Sensor - No 1 Signal (MX-3 1.8L).
5 Knock Sensor.
6 Vehicle Speed Sensor.
6 Air Flow Meter (MX-3 1.8L).
7 Knock Sensor - right hand side.
8 Air Flow Meter.
9 Water Thermo Sensor.
10 Intake Air Thermo Sensor - Air Flow Meter.
11 Intake Air Thermo Sensor - Dynamic Chamber.
12 Throttle Sensor.
14 Atmospheric Pressure Sensor.
15 Oxygen Sensor or Heated Oxygen Sensor - left hand side.
16 EGR Position/Function Sensor.
17 Feedback System or Closed Loop System - left hand side.
23 Oxygen Sensor or Heated Oxygen Sensor - right hand side.
24 Feedback System or Closed Loop System - right hand side.
25 Solenoid Valve - Pressure Regulator.
26 Solenoid Valve.
27 Solenoid Valve.
28 Solenoid Valve - EGR Vacuum side.
29 Solenoid Valve - EGR Vent side.
30 Cold Start Injector Relay.
34 IAC Valve.
36 Heated Oxygen Sensor - right hand side.
37 Heated Oxygen Sensor - left hand side.
40 Solenoid Valve - Triple Induction Control System & 02S Replay.
40 Solenoid Valve - Variable Resonance Induction System Solenoid Valve - VRIS 1.
42 Wastegate Solenoid Valve.
46 Solenoid Valve - VRIS 2.
65 A/C Signal - PCMT.
67 Coolant Fan Relay No. 1.
69 ECT Sensor.
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
kakarot135

Post by kakarot135 »

So I guess it would be the distributer, any ideas as to if I can fix it without replacing the disty or if replacement is the only way to go. do you think that rotor cap wires and plugs would help at all or is the disty probably fried if it threw the cel. My car is acting really wierd when i have the A/c on and hit the brakes or have the headlights on and am at idle it drops about 500 RPM then recovers but the past few days it has started to stall and the Cel came on

Any and all help is appreciated

Jason
Kakarot 135
boniclyd

Post by boniclyd »

You cannot repair the disty, I found that out with mine.
If it is slotted drive it is easy to replace.
Disconnect the neg. on battery.
Remove your cap and leave plug wires on cap.
U mark the direction the rotor button is facing.
THen loosen the bolts and slowy remove the disty.
Take it to parts store to match with new one and get your core charge back. HOld on to reciept becuase my first one was bad and had to take it back. Install in reverse order. (MAKE SURE THE ROTOR IS FACING SAME DIRECTION) YOU can replace 180 deg. out if it is not in same direction.
THen replace neg. on battery and crank it up.
PLace jumper wire on GRD and TEN on diagnostics box. THis take the cpu out of the way so u can set timing. Use timing gun to set timing on 10 deg
before tip dead center. Mine is a 94 1.6 DOHC (HOPE THIS HELPS)

ARIESDUDE IS A GOOD PERSON TO ASK ABOUT THIS!!!!!!!!
kakarot135

Post by kakarot135 »

how do you adjust your timing, also is there anywhere that I can get a timing gun cheap that anyone knows of or is there anywhere that rents them
thanks
Kakarot 135
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

Autozone has them for a good price.
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Currently: H&R Lowering springs, BPT from a GTR, 18.5x6x3.5 same side inlet and outlet intercooler, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
For BPT Frorums - http://www.aokforums.com/mazdaengines/
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

kakarot135 wrote:how do you adjust your timing
Assuming you have the SOHC b6, this is how you time the engine.

Put a jumper wire between ten and ground in the diagonostics box.

attach yout timing light to the battery, the positive and negitive cables, put the wire clamp over the #1 spark plug wire (wire farthest away from the disty. (farthest from battery) you want to clamp it onto the wire as close to the plug as possible.

start the engine.

Aim the light at your crank pully, youshould see a mark every time the light flashes, it should match beside a scale on the timing belt cover, poper timing is ~10 degrees btdc or 10 on the scale, (if i remember right)

if it is not corret, loosen the 2 bolts holding the disty, just loosen them a little bit, and turn the disty, you will see the mark move, adjust it untill it reads ~10 degrees. and tighten the disty back up. Check it one more time to make sure it didnt move when you where tightening it. then remove the wire from the diag box, WITH THE ENGINE STILL RUNNING.

go shut off your car and disconnect your timing light, your engine timing is set.
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Timing is easy to set, Separate all plug wires from the #1 wire.. get them as far away as possible. (leave them plugged in though.)

Loosten the bolts (but do not remove) of your disty.
Plug the timing light to your battery, and put the connector around the #1 plug.

Diag mode: Jump the GND to TEN pins in your diagnostics box on your firewall.

Start the car in Diag mode.

Put the timing light down by the belts pointing @ your crank . There is part of the timing cover that sticks out on top of the crank. It has some notches on it like this.
10 | | | | | | 0

They are degree marks. Your car should be set @ 10 Degrees of TDC (top dead center).

As your #1 cylinder sparks you will see a flash of light from the timing light when the trigger is pulled and held.

Point this @ that Degree marker on the crank. The crank also has a Dot/small notch on top of it. The light should flash @ the 10 marking on the degree marker when the notch reaches the degree marker.

Basically it will flash as the notch reaches the degree mark and you will see a line from the timing light onto the the degree marker, as long as its pointed directly at it. May take a min or so to see it and get the lined up.

Now that your all set up, you will notice if your timing is off, it it is, SLOWLY turn your disty a degree or so, and check timing again, if the light is going the wrong way, then the disty will need to be turned in the opposite direction you did the 1st time. Set it exactly @ 10 degrees. Then tighten down atleast 1 bolt on the disty. Verify its still set correctly with the timing light. Turn off the car, finish bolting the disty, remove the diag pin, and start the car.

It should now be timed correctly.
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Bah!, you beat me to it!. Im not sure on you removing that pin with the car running though....
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

Custommx3 wrote:Bah!, you beat me to it!. Im not sure on you removing that pin with the car running though....
my shop manual says to remove it with the car running, so thats what i did, and it worked. i dont actualy think it matters. but maby it does?
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

I didnt pull it while runing on my GS, although the ECU corrects the timing anyways, to an extent.
kakarot135

Post by kakarot135 »

Thank you for all the good advice it is much appreciated. Out of curiosity from what you guys knowis there any other possibilities as to what is wrong because it almost seems as if the disty alone doesn't make sense. The Other part is that the car is being stange about when it acts up, it will do it for a week and them stop for a few days and then start again. Any Ideas?
Kakarot 135

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”