Clunking sound from driver's side

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
ryanlindenberg

Clunking sound from driver's side

Post by ryanlindenberg »

i have this clunking sound coming from my driver's side wheel area. it only happens on hard right hand turns though. i pulled my wheel off and looked around and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. could it be an endlink or lower ball joint? what do you guys think?
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

Here's how to check for both...

To check lower ball joint - Jack up the front tire with the jack underneath the front control arm. Have a long pry bar handy and wedge it underneath the front tire. The tire can be a couple inches (2"-3") off the ground. Move the bar up with some force and see if you notice the ball joint moving.

To check for a loose tie rod - With the whole front end up in the air, just simply move the wheel/tire side to side (hands should be at 10:00 and 3:00 O'clock position).

Also check that everything is tight. Tie rod ends, ball joint, strut tower, loose strut mount, strut to spindle, etc...
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

check your springs if the are cracked also... that could cause a clunking also.. ball joints would be most noticeabkle over bumps if anything it could be a tie rod
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

ok thanks, i'll check it out and let you know. i did look at the spring when i was in there and didn't see any cracks or anything.
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

ok i checked it out again, when the car is off and i turn the wheel from side to side i can hear a clunking sound. i grabbed the tie rod as i was turning the wheel and i could feel the clunking through it. it sounds like the noise is coming from more of the center area of the car (close to the steering rack). is there some kind of joint in that area that could be making the noise?

the boot on the driver's side of the steering rack looked like it could be leaking but my powersteering fluid is still up in the resevoir. my powersteering still works perfectly.
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

Try looking at the rack bushings while someone else is moving the steering wheel back and forth.
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

all the advise so far sounds right on, also if you can shine a light down to the rack with the car on the ground turn the wheel back and forth. does the rack move in the bushings are does it "pop" like the problem is internal in the rack?
92 MX-3 GS, KL-ZE, OBX headers, 2-1/2" exhaust, XL Performance muffler, AASCO Aluminum flywheel,Pheno spacers,APEXi Airflow computer,Eibach springs,Tockico struts, Toyo RA1 205/50ZR15s, B&M short shifter. MS control arm Bushings, SS clutch line, SS brake hoses
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

the rack does move a little in the bushings. it looks like it kinda slides through the bushings, not much but i can see it.
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

put your hand on the rack as it pops, does the body of the rack move and pop or does the pop come from inside?
92 MX-3 GS, KL-ZE, OBX headers, 2-1/2" exhaust, XL Performance muffler, AASCO Aluminum flywheel,Pheno spacers,APEXi Airflow computer,Eibach springs,Tockico struts, Toyo RA1 205/50ZR15s, B&M short shifter. MS control arm Bushings, SS clutch line, SS brake hoses
noreaga0221

Post by noreaga0221 »

Sounds like a wheel bearing.
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

wheel bearings can growl as speed increases or growl/pop as a vehicle turns while moving. Never had one "pop" while turning rack lock to lock. :)
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

well i figured it out...apparently the sound was coming from the rear left side. it just happened so quick i couldn't tell i guess. anyways the strut was so messed up that the piston was wobbling around. the strut oil was all over the suspension components in the back.

i replaced all the struts with tokico blues and put in H&R springs, i love my car again :P

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”