Race without wastegate

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

nolig2278 wrote:so what psi do our cars/turboes really blow up at?
Depends on engine mileage, turbo specs, and a numer of other things. no real answer to your question.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
MazdaManiacMx3
Supporting Member

Post by MazdaManiacMx3 »

nolig2278 wrote:so what psi do our cars/turboes really blow up at?
After reading that question I would recommend you spend some time reading about boost rather than clipping the wastegate , Not to be a jerk or anything but your not only going to ruin your car but at the track while your watching for massive devestation to occur in your motor , your going to steer off the track and kill someone . Just please for the sake of everyone , read then race..
93 Kandy Tangerine Mx3 GS-DE
05 Saab 9-2x (Wrx power plant)
02 Subaru Impreza OBS
05 Subaru forester Xt - sti mods
04 dodge ram - toy hauler -FOR SALE
& Lots of Toys to haul :D
nolig2278

Post by nolig2278 »

I have read and read but not everything is answered. I have said in above post that I already ordered the ebay boost controller so what I was asking is what is the psi level that will kill a BPT GTX (ihi vj20, 1.8 liter)?

I get enough fuel so I am not asking a question about it blowing from lack of gas. I am asking when will the turbo be at its limits, not the engine limits?

Sorry I was not specific originally.
94 RS to BPT
2.5 FMIC
MicroSquirt
2.5 Exhaust
[url=https://gilon.levinsonltd.com/mx-3.html[/url]
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

nolig2278 wrote:I have read and read but not everything is answered. I have said in above post that I already ordered the ebay boost controller so what I was asking is what is the psi level that will kill a BPT GTX (ihi vj20, 1.8 liter)?

I get enough fuel so I am not asking a question about it blowing from lack of gas. I am asking when will the turbo be at its limits, not the engine limits?

Sorry I was not specific originally.
Well, I know from first hand expierence, you can do some major damage around 20+ psi at 2000 to 3000 rpm with a VJ-20 turbo. The problem - the wastegate was vacuum wired wrong. The proper port for my wastegate controll was not right and as a result, the engine spiked big boost at a low rpm. The engine ran for another 40 miles before I noticed a strang knocking noise. The noise grew louder and louder untill eventually I had to shut the car down. I towed it back to my place, tore the engine down and was suprised at the results. The aftermarket pistons were untouched, however I had 4 bent conn rods and spun every bearing that engine had. One of the oil squirters had broken off somehow, possibly the rod coming in contact with it. My GTX engine was toast from a simple wastegate connection.

You can't really make any more power after 15psi with the VJ-20 turbo. It's just too small to flow any more air than that. It could boost more if you really wanted to, but then you'll need to start retarding the timing and adding race gas. That's not really the best option. A better choice is to just get a bigger turbo. One problem is that you start generating more heat at higher boost levels. The efficiency drops and your turbo suffers a little more wear and tear.
osargeant

Post by osargeant »

jaydog5678 is correct, most of the IHI turbos like the VJ11, VJ14 and VJ20 run out of steam after 15psi and are not the best turbos if you are looking at making big power.
JSpec Turbo MX3 (1.6 DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/310985

Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, Hybrid Turbo, Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, BEGI RRFPR, Supra Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

nolig2278 wrote:Would the car really overboost within the 15 sec of a 1/4 mile.

I seem to think no. It might hit 18psi and I hear that is not a help to the bpt but it should not blow at 18psi right?

I have runa couple times on highway without the wastegate and I have seen it creep but I kept it to under 18 psi
It'd be totally fine for a 15 sec pass, like I said you should do it and make sure to record it.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Rick Johnson wrote:
nolig2278 wrote:Would the car really overboost within the 15 sec of a 1/4 mile.

I seem to think no. It might hit 18psi and I hear that is not a help to the bpt but it should not blow at 18psi right?

I have runa couple times on highway without the wastegate and I have seen it creep but I kept it to under 18 psi
It'd be totally fine for a 15 sec pass, like I said you should do it and make sure to record it.
Hahahhaa.....ok ok...knock it off...If and when he doesnt heed our warnings I am sure he will post pics of the carnage.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S

Return to “Forced Induction”