Cheap Alternative For Poly-Stabilizer Bushings

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Slammed6

Cheap Alternative For Poly-Stabilizer Bushings

Post by Slammed6 »

Well I was in desperate need of a new Stabilizer bar bushing as mine was falling into pieces. So i decided to take mine to AutoZone, and source a replacement. They told me that it was a dealer only item, so i was s--- outta luck.

Well i was determined to find something that would work, so after walking around i ended up in the section with Endlinks. I found a universal kit, which included 8 Endlink bushings, 8 Washers for bushings.

I will try and get some pics ASAP, but i will explain what i did pretty much. On the stud sticking out of the tranny i placed one washer, then got 2 of the endlink bushings put them back to back and squeezed them into the stabalizer bar....perfect fit! Then i slid the stabalizer bar over the stud...the back washer acts as a back stop for the bar and bushings....then i got another washer...placed that on over the stud....and then installed the 14mm bolt back on and tightened it.

The result is a nice stiff Stabalizer bushing set that cost cheaper than SRD Stabalizer bushings, granted i only used a set of bushings so i still have another 3 sets and 3 sets of washer that i can sell or do as i wish.

So if anyone is interested hit me up and i can sell the rest of what i have and take pics and its a direct drop in and takes no more than 15 minutes to install.

I'm working on pics....What u guys think so far?
Last edited by Slammed6 on June 2nd, 2006, 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

Sounds nice, but I`d like some pics, have a bit hard time imagining how this works :)

-nope
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

What's a stabilizer bar? You mean an anti-sway bar?
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

yea lakers some ppl call the stabilizers bars some call it sway bars 2 different names but sill the same object.. and yes pix plz!
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
JWMX3

Re: Cheap Alternative For Poly-Stabilizer Bushings

Post by JWMX3 »

Slammed6 wrote: On the stud sticking out of the tranny i placed one washer, then got 2 of the endlink bushings put them back to back and squeezed them into the stabalizer bar....perfect fit! Then i slid the stabalizer bar over the stud...the back washer acts as a back stop for the bar and bushings....then i got another washer...placed that on over the stud....and then installed the 14mm bolt back on and tightened it.

?
Pretty sure he means the shifter base linkage.. vibration dampening bar or whatever the hell its called....... Not a sway bar :confused2:
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

edited
Last edited by fieromx3 on May 10th, 2006, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Sounds nice, but I`d like some pics, have a bit hard time imagining how this works

-nope
I'm working on the pics...i will try to get some later tonight...i'll just demonstrate on a tranny outta the car, and if i get my car back on a lift i will take some pics.
What's a stabilizer bar? You mean an anti-sway bar?
The Stabalizer bar is the bar that is also attached to the tranny and then to your shifter. It keeps the shifter in the same distance from the tranny as you alow you to go into gear easily. But under hard acceleration the stock bushing move a lil too much and will cause those shitty mis-shifts.

No, definately not a Sway Bar...lol.
yea lakers some ppl call the stabilizers bars some call it sway bars 2 different names but sill the same object.. and yes pix plz!
No i am not talking about the back of the car, lol.
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

No i am not talking about the back of the car, lol.
i was just saying that the stabilizer bar is also called the sway bar..
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
Jay72

Post by Jay72 »

Do you mean the extension bar (#29)? You replaced the bushing kit #13-17 right? That's the blue bushing kit you can get from SRD except you saved $25. :)

Sorry it's so big.
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Exactly Jay72!!! Thanks

I have the last 2 sets for sale, recently put a set in my friends MX-3...and man it makes a world of difference..haha.

Hit me up if your interested in the last couple sets.
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

I need 1 bushing set for the shifter linkage right under the shifter, mines completely gone... I don't mind but when other people drive my car every gear feels like nuetral with the side to side play.

Would those bushing work for there?

EDIT: I need number 18
Jay72

Post by Jay72 »

No. The bushings at the end/ bottom of the shifter are much smaller. Replacing that will help somewhat in the "play". You can pick them up at Mazda for around 4-5 dollars Canadian. It's the bushing that Slammed has for the end of the "extension bar/ rod"(#29) that helps alot more in the "side to side" play.

Slammed might be on to something because it's so cheap. You can do a 4 person group buy for under $25 USD! lol Now all you need to do, Slammed, is find a replacement for the other bushings. You should take pics of those endlinks.
bdr2k5

Post by bdr2k5 »

i know this thread is old, but got a part number on those thingys? , was it made my energy suspension?!
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

It is made by energy suspension....but is not for the MX-3.

I will go to Autozone later today and see if i can source another set.

I did take a couple pics and will upload those in a few minutes.

EDIT:
Sorry for the blurry pics, all i had was my cell
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

get the part number and I will see if I can get them. and Iwill do this. looks like a good fitment!
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”