Questions on Honing and Piston Rings

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Questions on Honing and Piston Rings

Post by Bumpysbro »

Honing: We just got the honing tool from autozone my question is how much is too much honing? and make sure not to hit that lil oil squirter thing right? lol basically move it up and down and visually inspect it? or is there more to it

Piston Rings: is the black one the top or the middle ring? cuz my dad removed them before and didnt remember witch one went where. thnx everyone sorry for the all the questions been a crazy week.
JOn
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

on the B6 engine expanding the cylinder anythign more then 1mm either way is BAD!
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

The online MX-3 repair manual has your answers about the rings etc...

Tip: Hone the cylinders enough to break the glaze. Use your pistons to square up a new top ring in the cylinder bore (after THUROUGHLY cleaning it first). The ring should be at least 2inches from the top and square in the clean bore. Use a feeler gauge and see what the ring gap is. The B6's should be about 0.008"-0.015" ring gap. Check this again in the middle of the cyl. bore and then towards the bottom. You should find no more than 0.002" of taper between the top and bottom of the bore and you really need a bore gauge to check that, telescope gauges w/ a mic will also work. NA cars need less ring gap...unless running a really high comression ratio. Forced induction engines like a larger ring gap as the piston will expand under extreme pressure mostly from the heat that is generated. I honed the crap out of my test engine...but ofcorse it saw 400WHP and 24-26psi daily for over 10,000 miles so I wanted a loose ring gap. When the pistons heated up under boost they seal up. With out the extra clearance the pistons would have failed catistrophically!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

you should take those oil squirters out first. make sure they are clear. i pulled my bpt apart and the oil squirter for cyl #1 was plugged up... i had to soak it in parts cleaner overnight to clean it out.

when you hone it move to tool up in down with a steady speed. when you are done there should be a hatch pattern on the cylinder walls. all cylinders should look the same when you are done.

i'm guessing you are planning on replacing the rings since you are honing, the new rings will have instructions on the order of the rings.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”