A/C R-12 convertion help

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
pinkmx-3

A/C R-12 convertion help

Post by pinkmx-3 »

im confused on what to do now. i bought a retrofit kit to convert the r-12 to 134a but how am i suppose to get the remaining r-12 out of the system? Also i read something about having to change the oil in the compressor to an ester oil. And to top it off, my chilton manul is no help. some people were saying it would be ok not to change to oil in it and just use the 134a high mileage refigerant with added leak sealer, oil, and lubricnt. any help would be great.
93 mx-3 GS
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

If you've got the fittings to convert to R-134, then the remaining refrigerant needs to be evacuated by someone capable of the work. After that, the shop should have it vacuumed for at least 15 minutes, add the oil, add the right weight of refrigerant and you should be o.k. Have the same shop check for leaks, the high and low pressures and the temperature coming out of the vents. Typically they should be 20-30psi for the low and 170+psi or so for the high. Temps should be down to 40-45 degrees F. at the lowest fan setting. Hope that helps.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”