KL-ZE lacks power. Why?..

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

Nightnic I would like the others have said get your timing and TPS all adjusted and make sure your vris is working.

Vozaday2000 I bet you could probably get a quite a few kms on a tank with the kl02 vaf, right now I'm getting 370-440 depending on how I drive. Swap the vaf and make sure your tires have a lot of air, I'm curious to see what you can pull for mileage.
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

nightnic wrote:
vozaday2000 wrote:I would check your timing
Thats a good point, thanks, I will. By the way, how do you do that? :) I forgot to mention, my distributor comes from K8 as well.
vozaday2000 wrote:the engine ran lean with the kl02.
Won't the amount of air shown by KL02 (excessive from K8ECU standpoint) be compensated by larger KL injectors (which K8ECU doesnt know anything about)?
arent they the same thing im running my stock k8 dis and i havent really though about a hp loss there but i dont know can it???
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
14.8 1/4 mile all motor untimed on boost.
slimmyslim1420

Post by slimmyslim1420 »

nightnic wrote:Actually, I'm looking into purchasing a MegaSquirt EMS to fine tune ECU output, so I'm interested in other parts mutual compatibility. I don't know if VAF and TB kind will actually matter for MegaSquirt-powered car, but I think its better start with proven non-EMS setup, so that EMS will take off in better environment.
I was curious is your ZE kl-31 cammed or did it come with the curve neck intake? Also what kind of tune up did you do before installing the engine? And finally have you done a comppression test?
1992 GS ZE swap 94 dash swap drilled and slotted rotors full ceramic pads CS SS clutch and brake lines KL-36 ecu zx-2 tokico struts eibach springs short shifter Tenzo exhaust Hi flow cat 2.5 in piping
Teqnyck

Post by Teqnyck »

It sounds to me like he got a straight neck KLZE and then a millenia mani for it. Fellas, I have to be honest, i felt the same way when I got my ze installed. Headers, CAI, and exhaust later, this engine woke up. That's my .02, if you want the right amount of power, you gotta let this engine breathe.
KLZE/KL31 ecu/Pacesetter headers/track pipe cat delete/2.5 inch custom exhaust out to fart pipe/warm air intake for now :(/Fidanza 9lbs flywheel/Stage 2 kevlar road racing clutch which still slips/stock wheels/BFG KDW-2 tires. Looks bone stock ;)

There are those who claim to be street racers, and then there are those who claim the streets for themselves. I am not a street racer. I am a StreetSweeper.
http://www.streetsweepersracing.com
nightnic

Post by nightnic »

slimmyslim1420: is your ZE kl-31 cammed or did it come with the curve neck intake
Teqnyck: It sounds to me like he got a straight neck KLZE and then a millenia mani for it
Thats true, I got straight-neck KL-ZE and millenia manifold for it. My mechanic claimed he did check the compression and it was ok, 10.5 and equal between cylinders.
No tune up other than I described. After I switched exchaust to 2.5" there was slight increase in power, but still minor. Teqnyck, what headers do I need and whats CAI?
nightnic

Post by nightnic »

Got the CAI part, what about headers?
nightnic

Post by nightnic »

Got that also. Here is the link to a nice headers FAQ on probetalk for those who interested: http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701144995

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”