Basic Acceleration Tips

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

You can shift without the clutch. I've done it many times in the mx-3 and my old protege you just gotta be in the 'zone' <perfect rev matching> I didn't even have a tach in my protege just went by feel.
mzdamx3rsdohc

mx3 shifting

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

well i think he was refering to accelerating faster not shifting smoothly. in my 94 DOHC i launch at 2200 and take first 2nd right up to 6700, because thirds wider i usually shift out at 6500 cause after that powers dropping off neways. try not to launch to often tho start of normally then gas it a lot less wear and tear on ur clutch and tranny. when shifting from first to second i keep the gas on pull it out of gear without the clutch fast as possible tap the clutch release it and ull get a nice chirp which will also use the momentum to catch 2nd a litlle higher in rpms putting it clser to the powerband i find theres a big drop in rpms first to second really wide gearing. i dunno wut u have done to the car but the most worthwhile mods i find are real cold air intake(not hot air) high flow cat and muffler and go to a wreck yard tons around and get some 1.6l miata cams(more agressive) all mods work well with eachother and wont cancel one or another out seeing their all mid-upper rpm mods. dont be afraid to take it up to the revlimiter a cpl times so u can see where it kicks in so u dont shift to early the little 1.6 dohc u have to keep in its powerband.
dohc b6, intake, exhaust, miata cams ready to go in
Red_MX3_92

Post by Red_MX3_92 »

it's a lil bit of fun but i just did it a while ago when i was dilivering pizzas after all that time driving hitting that clutch was just to much of a workout for my foot had to give it a rest.
95 B6DE 5spd H @ R lowering springs, custom exhaust, 5 spoke noname rims, gtr wing, short shift, alpine mrd 1000 amp, 2 15" ma audio subs, panasonic deck, JBL front speakers AND A BLOWN ENGINE!:(
superman_t11

Post by superman_t11 »

What is ttt
n2ogsze

Post by n2ogsze »

Shifting without the clutch has no real practical use, it's just too say, "Hey, I'm so cool I can shift without my clutch". Do it a few times just to learn how, but after that use your damn clutch.
T61 powered KLZE
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

superman_t11 wrote:What is ttt
ttt = to-the-top when bumping a UBB thread well... to-the-top.
Image -Jim
94blaze1.6

Post by 94blaze1.6 »

n2ogsze wrote:Shifting without the clutch has no real practical use, it's just too say, "Hey, I'm so cool I can shift without my clutch". Do it a few times just to learn how, but after that use your damn clutch.
shifting without the clutch will not wear out the clutch as much as shifting with it....
95 RS so far just a paintjob, rims suspension next then turbo...
Image I have turbo dreams and detanation nightmares
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

so? think tranny
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”