Burning Oil and lose of coolant

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
fellaitai

Burning Oil and lose of coolant

Post by fellaitai »

ive noticed my oil has been slowly decining and i keep on having to refil the overflow container with anti freeze, there is a small amount of liquid under my car but i cant tell if it is oil or coolant or a mixture. when i run it hard white smoke comes out of the tail pipe, im fairly sure that is antifreeze but i smell oil. i did a compression test and my head gasket isnt blown. do you think i need to look at my valve gaskets or piston rings? or just get a whole new valve job?
thanx
ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005)

Post by ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005) »

I would go back and check it over, sounds like to me your head gasket. Did you check the condition of your oil/coolant ? if your coolant has a milky appearance to it or smells of gas, its your head gasket for sure. I have heard of friends who dont really have low compression readings but do have a small leak in their gasket which causes them to burn oil or coolant. White smoke = Burning Coolant , Blue smoke = Burning oil. Im not refering to the white smoke caused by condensation during start up. It is also possible that you could just be leaking coolant somwhere and you buring oil through your valve stem seal or worn rings. One trick i learned was to fill up your coolant in your radiator, leaving the cap off (making sure your engine it cool while doing this) start your car and check for air bubbles raising from the radiator. another thing would be to try a leak down test to help pin point the problem. good luck!
Apexi Safc 2 ,Timex Boost-Temp-Oil Gauges, Stage 1 Performance clutch, 8.5 mm Magnacore plug Wires,2.5 inch exhaust, Cold Air Intake , Short Shifter , High temp rotors & Ceramic pads to slow it all down !
fellaitai

Post by fellaitai »

thanks man ill try that, another thing i noticed is that today when i got to school immediatley after i parked there was a drip coming from my oil pan area, i checked it out and it was coolant. i just filled it up the last night and it is still full but it was leaking out.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”