True horsepower losses, will it affect my setup?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
2.5mazda

True horsepower losses, will it affect my setup?

Post by 2.5mazda »

Hello,

As many of you know I just recently got my KLZE. Tonight I was switching over the power steering pump, new belts, and setting everything up to be put in. I then had to do the dreaded. I had to take the KLZE manifold off and put the DE on because the ZE I got was a straight neck. :cry: I went ahead and put new valve cover gaskets on and intake gaskets as well.
My question is, will having the DE intake manifold really lose me all that much? I switched over the fuel rails and regulator as well just in case those were different. I have heard people saying that it could even be better to use a DE over a ZE because of the torque gain, where as the ZE has more power in the higher RPM's.
I want to know bottom line, is this the biggest mistake of my life or will I be happy with the DE? Is there an honest truly noticable difference?
Tomorrow night I have to figure out all of my plugs and hoses and get that all sorted and tied up, then when my clutch and flywheel come tuesday I need to bolt the tranny up, and bolt the engine into the car. Hopefully wednesday I can get it started up.... hopefully. :wink:

I also noticed a lack of an EGR valve... am I to asume that the J spec engines dont use this emission BS?
http://www.streetpsi.net

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS ZE
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

It will still haul a-- with the DE, it wil haul a-- slightly better with the ZE or millinina manifold.

With the DE manfold i was tied with my friends rx8 time after time from a 2nd gear roll. With the millinia manifold i pulled steady on him and had him by my rear bumper by the time we stopped. Ze would give u similar results.
Last edited by XxantwawnxX on May 14th, 2006, 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
2.5mazda

Post by 2.5mazda »

slightly as in?? mid range, top end or all the way through? Is it enough to warrent my search for a millenia manifold?

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS ZE
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

2.5mazda wrote:slightly as in?? mid range, top end or all the way through? Is it enough to warrent my search for a millenia manifold?
I wrote some more up there. either way its gonna be so much faster than the k8. Dont worry about it..its not a big deal..use the DE til u find sumthign better.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
2.5mazda

Post by 2.5mazda »

oh, ok, thanks didnt see that. I thought it was there the whole time and I am going crazy or somthing, lol

And I didnt have a K8, I had a KLDE, that is why I have all of these parts to use....I have never owned a K8, so I dont know what they are like.

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS ZE
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Oh there slow : P. I heard that the DE and ZE pull about the same..th eonly thing is the ZE pulls for alot longer in th rev range and a lil harder. But ive never driven a DE although i have beaten them often.

2.5mazda

Post by 2.5mazda »

There is honestly no way to get the ZE manifold to fit? Where is the best place to look for a millenia manifold?

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS ZE
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

There are ways to get it to fit..i mentioned sum in another of ur threads. Theres one i dont know about because peopel wont tell(or maybe they have by now) But according to some you can get them to fit..but its tricky..i dont know that way. Try a search you might find them.

2.5mazda

Post by 2.5mazda »

Thanks for all of your help!!!

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS ZE
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

i believe on probetalk someone did the dyno of a klze with straight neck and klze without and the difference was only about 5-6 ponies, not that bad, unless your trying to squeeze every little bit out of your motor. As for the klze intake it will fit, if you have the motor in you should easily be able to see what the problem is and what the solution is, i could tell you but then pat would kill me, and i like pat he's a good guy so i dont want him to kill me :)

I am going to the junkyard tomarrow as they have a fresh new Millenia S and a few 2.5 millenias i always grab the curve neck intakes if i see them and put them away until someone ask for one on here, if i see one ill grab it and let you know if your interested..
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
2.5mazda

Post by 2.5mazda »

What is this BS about not telling people? I dont get that, I personally think that is rediculous. Here you have a lot of people in the situation I am in and you guys feel like keeping secrets so that everyone else has to spend extra money? :?
thanks
:cry: thought this was a sight to get info from, not hang it infront of their faces and take it away before they grab it. All I want is for my car to work, I am tapped out on funds and I dont know what to do anymore.
Sorry to whine, but I am at my whits end and this project is becoming frustrating when all I can do is work on it after work in evenings and I have to hitch rides durring the day. :? :cry:

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS ZE
Mazda_Powered

Post by Mazda_Powered »

raise the rear engine mount a bit with some washers, your straight neck will fit just fine.

JACK
.::Mazda::speeD::.

working on the 2nd part ;)
2.5mazda

Post by 2.5mazda »

How much is "a bit" ? Does this just move it slightly forward or?
thanks for the help!

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS ZE
Mazda_Powered

Post by Mazda_Powered »

well you have to have a SOLID rear motor mount. like get it welded or fill it with 90A urethane so your IM doesnt hit your brake booster when shifting. then its a matter of raising the rear end up with the straight neck on then lowering it until it sits where you want it to, then start adding washers, it shouldnt take that many.

JACK
.::Mazda::speeD::.

working on the 2nd part ;)
2.5mazda

Post by 2.5mazda »

ok, that is all I needed to know, thanks for spilling the "heavily gaurded secret" about how to make an mx-3 run without dumping unneeded money into it, lol
Last edited by 2.5mazda on May 15th, 2006, 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS ZE

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”