Just finished my ZE Turbo project...one prob...no boost : (

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

IN first gear NO rpm shows boost although i can hear the turbo spool at about 1800. I ran first gear all the way to about 6800.

IN second gear i get boost showing at around 2300 rpm i guess.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

WG is gonna be your issue. You don't push that much air in 1st, so you will probably not notice anything with your wastegate stuck open. In 2nd and 3rd it is moving more air. But You should be able to at least see some boost. Do you Blow Off going from 1st to 2nd??
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I never blow off until shes ready.

(sorry couldn't help myself.)
Mods I'll delete this tomorrow if I remember.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
MX3ze@7psi

Post by MX3ze@7psi »

my KF, KL-ZE, and KL-DE all showed no boost in first gear but once shifted to second it starts to build boost at around 2500. I've always used the bigger t3 from the ford murker and mustang svo. Maybe your wastegate is stuck open or somthing so you won't ever build boost. Try unpluging the vaccum line to the wastegate and test it to see if you will boost but don't step on it hard you might boost spike. Does you blow off valve go off??
MX3 KL-DE, probe/mx6 ebay turbo pipes, T3/T4 50 trim @ 8psi, millenia injectors, SAFC2, intercooled,Greddy RS BOV, turbonetic 38mm external wastegate. Wisco 9.5 forged piston, millenia S rods, and high performance rings coiming in soon. Shooting for 400whp this summer.
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

My WG is tied shut already. I get boost in 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th..and yes the BOV goes off in thsoe gears. i get nothing in first.

And get this, i have the WG tied shut i can floor it to redline in 5th gear and never see over 8psi.

Also i get the most boost if i put the most load on the motor(makes sense) liek starting from a slow roll in 5th.or 4th thats when i an get to 8psi. but if i start from 1st gear, i get no boost in 1st ver little in second same with 3rd..maybe 4 psi in 4th and 6 ni 5th. I think its the WG on the turbo..maybe some cracks in the mold. OR i have a leak in the intake pipes..i used a ton of couples without the good T clamps. Tomorrow im going striaght from the turbo to the TB . ITs only about a foot or so long pipe that will do it. That shoudl rule out the intake side leaking.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Ok so i bypassed my mileoff pipes with the intercooler and it does get boost alot better. But i i still only register about half a PSI in first gear enough for BOV to work. I think by the time i get boost in first im choking it out since the turbo is wat to small for that motor. So either thats the case or i have leaky WG or both : P. Cause i made sure that the WG is shut and i cant get about to 8 psi and then i get no more after that..i think cause its choking...so ill use this for now then buy a biiger one.

Also theres some amount of oil in the charge pipes, so id say i just need to get a new turbo, this one has to last me till i save up 400 bucks or so.

ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

Oil in charge pipes - I read (in this forum somewhere) that it could be due to a small/improper oil drain compared to the oil inlet. Basically more oil goes into the turbo than going out of the turbo - slows down the turbo too.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Man the spool up and BOV are so loud its insane.

cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

XxantwawnxX wrote:My WG is tied shut already. I get boost in 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th..and yes the BOV goes off in thsoe gears. i get nothing in first.

And get this, i have the WG tied shut i can floor it to redline in 5th gear and never see over 8psi.

Also i get the most boost if i put the most load on the motor(makes sense) liek starting from a slow roll in 5th.or 4th thats when i an get to 8psi. but if i start from 1st gear, i get no boost in 1st ver little in second same with 3rd..maybe 4 psi in 4th and 6 ni 5th. I think its the WG on the turbo..maybe some cracks in the mold. OR i have a leak in the intake pipes..i used a ton of couples without the good T clamps. Tomorrow im going striaght from the turbo to the TB . ITs only about a foot or so long pipe that will do it. That shoudl rule out the intake side leaking.
Did you just get the turbo?
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Naw i had this turbo sitting around the house for years, cost me 50 bucks. Just found out today one of my intake manifold bolts was stripped and loose, fixed that but have yet to drive it.

Minimonster

Post by Minimonster »

Hey X. It is sometimes common so not see boost or much of it in 1st gear. This is because the motor in not under much load. plus you are not realy in that gear long enough. The 1st time I experienced that. I started to roll in 1st, then I pull the e brake enough to slow the car down then gave in more gas. this but a load on the motor and I actually saw the boost. As long as its making the boost in the other gears you are fine.
Proud builder of
455 hp Miata 10.98@125mph
MX-3 RS 25 psi 451 hp
MX-6 F2T 12.8 @ 112 mph
(Current Project) A 700 hp MX-3 now at 475 hp
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

Just another thought, but the exhaust side from the engine, if you have longer exhaust pipes to the turbo, it will take time for the turbo to spool. That will contribute to some lag. How larg are your exhaust runners to the turbo? If all the connections are tight and the w.g. is working like it should, the exhaust could be a possible problem.
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

2.5 inch to the turbo. I really think its just th eturbo, ill find out soon enough, im getting a 50 a/r cold 70 a/r hot 57 trim t3/t4 soon : )

Return to “Forced Induction”