Who wears gloves?

Off-Topic Discussions
happyclown

Who wears gloves?

Post by happyclown »

I've started to do a lot of work on my own, and I recently bought a pair of generic mechanics gloves, and I love them. It first I didnt think i'd like wearing gloves while working, I never wear them otherwise, but these are so nice even for how cheep they are.
I got the walmart version of these: http://www.truckntow.com/pc-9898-146897 ... -pair.aspx

Its got padding on the nuckles and some on the palm and fits so well, not bulky at all.

I was wondering who else wears gloves and what kinds they use. I've heard of people wearing latex, anyone do that?
1993 RS Teal
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

I've been thinking about picking up a pair because I'm sick of scrubbing my hands after working on my car, especially if I have any cuts or scrapes.
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

i always look at the mechanics gloves but nver bought any.... my hands have paid the price
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

i always wear work gloves at work, saves fingers from dirt and paint, etc.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Use rubber throw away ones so that you can take them off and throw them away. You'll ruin your washing machine washing grease in it all the time and you could end up with grease on your other clothes after washing the mech gloves.

It will also save you the hassel of loosing one glove. :wink:
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I grew up in a mechanic shop and my Dad never used gloves, and now his hair is falling out because of the chemicals. He always has grease under his nails, no matter what he does to clean them. I was surprised when I 1st saw gloves used. I use the latex ones, too, but it would be nice to not have to dig grime outa cuts in my knuckles. Some time, I'll try those fancy mech. gloves.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Only the kevlar ones while working in the pits as they're a must. Otherwise, no.

I find them cumbersome as you lose a lot of "feel".
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

I use a cheap pair during any feezing azz cold winter weather when work still has to get done on the car. Otherwise, if temps aren't real cold, no gloves.
Image -Jim
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

I hate gloves, but they are useful, and can save lives =b

Everyone needs:
-Disposibles- Great when working with grease/oil since you can chuckem when your done
-Chem Gloves- A must aroud chemicals which can eat through laytex
-Kevlar- To save your hands from being pinched or cut
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

I use mechanics gloves myself, the ones I have have LEDs between the tump and the point finger to allow you to see in dark places when working.
I think they were like $30 from the Snap-on guy.
freakyalien

Post by freakyalien »

Custommx3 wrote:I use mechanics gloves myself, the ones I have have LEDs between the tump and the point finger to allow you to see in dark places when working.
I think they were like $30 from the Snap-on guy.
Oh, I gotta get me some of those...
Vroooom
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

those led gloves are awesome, i hate trying to use 2 hands and somehow balance the light with my elbows :lol:
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

I just use my bmxing gloves...when i'm doing metal work i use latex gloves unless i'm welding or doing heavy duty grinding. Keeps the grease of your fingers off the metal, and keep the grease off your fingers.

Welding everyday abuses your hands..you dont' know how many times i've picked up red hot metal....sh t that hurts.
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

I've been wearing something a little different lately. I no longer need my tactical gloves for the original intended purpose. I found that they make great work gloves. They are made of kevlar with thin kangaroo leather palms & finger tips. They are heat and cut resistant and thin enough to give the same of better tactile feeling of latex/nitrile glove but better protection to sharp edges and heat sources. The palms are padded originally intended to adsorb the recoil of firearms but great for using impact tools. The only real problem I have had with them is when they get wet you have the usual problem with Kevlar were it will loose it's cut resistant properties and sharp objects will penetrate the kevlar weave.

Return to “Off-Topic”