CV replacement question

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
happyclown

CV replacement question

Post by happyclown »

My cv's clickin again (got it replaced about a year ago) and i decided i'd replace it myself this time around.

I was going through the online manual and i've got some questions.

In the part where is says to remove the transaxel from the transmition, it says you pry at it with a bar, then hit the bar with a hammer if necessary. Can I serously just use a prybar and pop it out or are they refering to something special like the ones used to pop out balljoints and tierod ends?

It also says I have to use a special engine holder thing and take out a mount. That seems like bs. Do I really have to? What would that do for me?

I've not been under the car yet, the weather suddenly dropped this week and it started snowing again :evil: The new cv axels' just sittin in the trunk :wink:

Thanks in advance!
1993 RS Teal
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

to help you with your questions,

Yes you can use a prybar, just be careful, the transmittion case can crack if you put too much force on it.

but i wouldent hit the prybar with a hammer.

as for the mounts..... (runs outside and checks car)

You SHOULD be able to get it out without taking out any mounts, it might be a little tricky tho. Just get the car up in the air and go for it.

Sometimes there a bit trickyer to get it outta the spindle side. you might need a good hammer for that one. just make sure you dont round out the end of the axel.

I gotta do mine to btw.

Was going to do it today but thats not happening.

Hope this helps,
Bochek
tallymx3

Post by tallymx3 »

I did mine a few months ago it was not that bad but drain your transaxel fluid before you start or you WILL have a big mess. the only problem i had was getting new transaxle fluid in the car. luckly i had someone who works at a mechanic shop do it for me for free.(he owed me a favor) Good luck if you got any questions PM me. :)
1992 WHITE 1.6l SOHC saving for a BPT swap next year, New interior next month, and new Paint Hooray
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

getting the fluid in the tranny is EASY.

Take out the spedometer gear, and pour it in there.

Get a funnel with a long long long hose on the end and a bunch of ratchet extensions so that you can get down to the nut that holds in the spedo gear.

Bochek
tallymx3

Post by tallymx3 »

I didnt know where it was at the time and couldnt find anyone who could tell me where it was. So need less to say i called in a favor :)
1992 WHITE 1.6l SOHC saving for a BPT swap next year, New interior next month, and new Paint Hooray
happyclown

Post by happyclown »

Well, if the hardest part is the spindle side I should be all set, I did the wheel bearing on the other side not too long ago. We had to hammer the crap outa it to get it out. Ended up mushrooming the end of it and I had to grind it back into shape down to the threds, kinda a pain in the butt :roll:

Are there any threds here about the speedo gear thinger... I dont think I have a clue as to where that is or anything.

This comming week is supposed to be pretty warm so hopefully I'll get around to doin this in the next couple of days. :wink:
1993 RS Teal
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

the spedo gear is down under the intake manifold on the transmition side. you might have to take out the battery to get to it.

its one bolt and then just pull it out. MAKE SURE YOU DONT DROP THE BOLT IN THE HOLE.

good luck with it all.

Bochek
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Another couple notes.

1. to keep the spindle side of the axle easy to get out just grease the axle splines with a tad of axle grease. It will slide in and out really easily and not rust up which is what causes them to stick in the first place.

2. Do not over tighten the bolt that holds down speedo gear. It is fine with hand tight.

3. You can pry on the axle all day. I usually use a 3' pry bar as they can be quite a biotch. I've never heard of anyone breaking a tranny case getting an axle out.

4. Another easy way to get the axle out is to remove the passanger side first (it is much easier). Then look throught the tranny with a flash light. You'll see a metal rod running right through the middle of the hole. Do not hit that rod!! You can use a long screw driver placed through the hole and onto the drivers side axle. Then hit the screw driver and it will pop the drivers axle out.

5. Buy a new axle nut every time you change or remove the axle. They are cheap and you need to make sure you pinch the nut so that it cannot back off on its own.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Macen

Post by Macen »

Do you really need to remove the whole axle? I didn't when I replaced my pass. side cv joint. I'm gonna replace the driver's side too soon.
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
White '95 RX-7 Type R Bathurst
http://macen.nullnet.com
yurbabezmama

Post by yurbabezmama »

My Cvs are clicking or at least that is what I say is clickin being a female (not being sexist) but mechanics try and take me for a ride on everything little do they know I grew up in the garage with my dad.....but someone told me that my ball joints are what needs to be replaced......
HELPPPPPP everytime I turn my wheel I hear click click click
what did you pay for new cvs..... I have just started "fixing" my Mx up and everytime I fix one thing seems I need somethin else.....
Thanks
Macen

Post by Macen »

Can you hear the sound when turning the wheels standing still also? If you can, then it's a bad top strut mount. I refilled mine with grease, and the clicking was gone.
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
yurbabezmama

Post by yurbabezmama »

thanks for the quick reply......NO I don't hear anything standing still just when I make a turn especially a u turn...... Also now every time I shift into 2nd I feel my motor drop I think its time for new motor mounts too....... Dayummm this car is getting expensive... I was thinking of trading it in for a new RX8 but I love this car so much I don't want to part with it.... I will probably spend my last penny on it......
Macen

Post by Macen »

I changed mine today without removing the axle from the tranny. It's so easy. Let a friend hold the axle when you hit the CV joint with a rubber hammer and it pops out very easy.
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

Post by Spinkx79 »

I am changing another axel today, seems like the PartSource ones only last a year. I changed them last summer and the year b4 :(

For the leaking tranny fluid....just jack up the side that you are working on as high as you can, i have never had any fluid leak out.

Oh and if your doing the passenger side, look at the online manual it will show you where to hit the axel to get it to pop out nice and easy...Otherwise you will prob have trouble like I did.

If you still have Mazda axels in i would inspect them and if possible re-grease them and buy new boots. Unless you like changing them and make it an annual thing like i have had to do.

1 positive is Partsource has a lifetime warrenty so you pay only once :wink: Today will be my 3rd set (all stock suspension).

g/l
lowflyinmx3

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

Bochek wrote:the spedo gear is down under the intake manifold on the transmition side. you might have to take out the battery to get to it.

its one bolt and then just pull it out. MAKE SURE YOU DONT DROP THE BOLT IN THE HOLE.

good luck with it all.

Bochek
please tell me that didn't happen to you? that would have been a major oh sh*t moment.
Mazda.... What happens in the parking lot, stays in the parking lot

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”