CV joints and falling apart?????

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
92MX3black

CV joints and falling apart?????

Post by 92MX3black »

Just curious to know a simple question: My mx3 has the clunk sound coming from the passenger rear of the car and i am to assume it is the cv joint that is messed up. Now it has been clunking like this for the past 3000 miles and i was just wondering if its possible for the rear axle to fall apart of what is the consequence of not having this part replaced? Honestly i can put up with the clunking noise if its not going to make anything else fail and a safety hazard. please help me :lol:
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

You mean bearing?? there isnt a cv joint in the back.... worst thing is that the wheel locks up and youll have to be towed...happened to me on a front one...
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

A bad wheel bearing would usually make a humming noise. When does it clunk, just on bumps or?
92MX3black

Post by 92MX3black »

This clunking noise is most noticeable when the car starts in motion and goes forward. It is deff. coming from the right passenger side in the back and seems to go away once the car reaches a normal speed (55mph). Only really noticeable when driving slowly or when starting to roll. To answer the last question it will also make the clunk noise when it goes over a bump. So i want to be priceing a wheel bearing out instead of a CV joint????. And did u mean that it will lock up at any speed??? that sounds dangerous!!!
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

wheel bearings will be a lot cheaper and yes, you want to look for wheel bearings, not CV joints. CV joints are only used for drive wheels.

nnother thing you may want to look into as well since i onec had a similar problem on a car ( matches exactly the way you described ) is your rear caliper. Had a nissan car, thought it was bearings, replaced - still there, found out the caliper wasn't working, replaced and viola. No more clunking :)

either way good luck

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”