Anyone here do their own Window Tinting?

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Juans_93_MX3

Anyone here do their own Window Tinting?

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Would you guys recommend a noob to try to tint his own windows?
Any "how-to" write ups?

ANY ADVICE?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

I'm pretty sure there's a write-up on here (or a link to)

mine turned out pretty good...., the hatch is an absolute b---- to get right, i did it in three horizontal strips and didn't try to cover the little dots at the top (just asking for trouble!)

if i were to do it again i'd at least take the side windows out first!
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

I'd recommend getting it professionally done, its not that expensive.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

agreed, i havent tinted mine yet because im waiting to have them spray tinted no more worrying about scraps or marks in the tint
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
tallymx3

Post by tallymx3 »

Hey Guys,
I thought i would chime in here since i have been in the tint business for the past six years. First i would NOT recomend taking your window out to tint it. Second if you are planning on getting it to look good i would tell you to go to someone who know what there doing on that back window so it is done in ONE peice. I have seen a lot of Butchered home jobs in my time, Just spend a few dollars and get someone who carrys Llumar or Formula One Window Film, both are made by CP Films and are Very high Quality Products.
If you really do want to do it your self i can offer some tips for you, also we do have a computer program that will cut the window pattern for you if you want i can probably sell you the precut pattern.
1992 WHITE 1.6l SOHC saving for a BPT swap next year, New interior next month, and new Paint Hooray
kmvmx3

Post by kmvmx3 »

So...... How much are you willing to sell the pre-cut windows for. Please let us know. I can do the side windows but would like a one piece for the back pre-cut otherwise I'll take it in to the pro. Thx
93 Purple X3 GS SE ... More Mod to come...
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

if ur going to get the rear tinted by pro's make sure they dont take off ur rear spoiler... for some reason they took my spoiler off and supposedly there was a loose chip in it and they lost it so i got a nice chunk missing... just a heads up but only crap like that happens to me ahaha
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
tallymx3

Post by tallymx3 »

Ok I could probably get you guys the pre cut kit for about $60 us + Shipping ( 2 Front doors And Backglass). I might be able to come down on that a little once i talk to my Boss but it would only be like 5 or 10 bucks.
HOODZ - I dont know where you took your car but a QUALITY shop should NOT talk anything apart to do the window tinting. I am baffled at how many shops are still stuck in the 80's as far as there tinting habits.
Just let me know if you guys are interested, hope i can help a few of you guys out :D
1992 WHITE 1.6l SOHC saving for a BPT swap next year, New interior next month, and new Paint Hooray
gregair13

Post by gregair13 »

i would strongly advice letting the professionals do it. dont want to have it bubble or have it peal off while driving too fast
tallymx3

Post by tallymx3 »

LOL :lol: If you had your tint bubble and peel because you drove to fast you would have a serios problem. The tint goes on the inside of the glass so speed would never affect your tint.
If you are interested in doing this your self let me know and i can give detailed instructions on how to complete a decent home tint job as i said in my earlier post i run a window tint shop. I have no problem helping someone if they want to try, with a little patience and being halfway competent you CAN do this :wink:

Return to “Appearance”