Belt Problems??? HELP!!!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
92-Mx3

Belt Problems??? HELP!!!

Post by 92-Mx3 »

Hey guys yesterday i replaced my accessories belt for the , water pump, powersteering, etc... everything went smooth but today when i go to drive the car, when i turn the steering wheel clockwise or counter clockwise 1 full turn it begins to screech, like an ear pearsing sound, i tried to loosen the belt but still have screeching, any one know what this could be from??? :cry: :cry:
1992 Mazda Mx-3 - I love my K8 :)
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Yeah.. the belt isnt tight enough.. when you loosened it.. you just made it worse. The screeching sound is the belt slipping. If you drive it like that too much it will glaze the belt and then it wont grip properly and it will slip no matter what.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
92-Mx3

Post by 92-Mx3 »

how tight should have the belt????
1992 Mazda Mx-3 - I love my K8 :)
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

You should have about 1/2 inch of belt deflection. Meaning if you hold up a ruler next to the belt.. then push down on the belt in the middle of its expanse from one pully to the next.. the belt should only move down the ruler about a 1/2 inch.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”