1.6 dohc gasket

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
willisww

Post by willisww »

sweet. thanks tunes i appreciate it. also a few minutes ago i went to the engine. turned it over. VIN on the block says 94. so no worries. im at ease about the b6/bp thing. i looked at rock auto. 230 for full kit.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

$230 for a full kit or a head kit? $230 for a head gasket kit seems wayyy too much.. lemme take a look.. if nothing else I can get you the phone # for the parts store here where I got mine. They are called Action Auto Parts. Small local chain of them in the seattle/everett WA area. I'll see what I can dig up. Cheers

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Yeah that $230 was for a full engine gasket kit. Is that what you are looking for? Or were you looking for a Cylinder Head Gasket Kit? Rockauto lists the Cylinder head kit at $180. Which still seems spendy to me. Here is the info for the store where I got my kit a year ago. Dunno if they will ship it.. but if they will.. you can save a few bucks...

Action Auto Parts: Richmond Highlands Store - 10 miles N - 17010 Aurora Ave N, Shoreline, 98133 - (206) 546-4818

I didnt see a 800 number.. so unless you have vonage or a cell wlth no long distance charges.. it might get spendy on the phone though.

Tunes
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

am i right to assume a cylinder head cover is the same as a valve cover?

i just want to paint the valve cover, so i dont want a whole gasket set, i just need the 10 dollar gasket right?
netcom

Post by netcom »

A cylinder head gasket and a valve cover gasket are two different things. A head gasket goes between the block and the heads, a valve cover gasket goes between heads and the valve cover.
2005 Acura 3.2 TL
1994 Suzuki Sidekick 1.6
1988 Mazda GTX (SOLD)
1984 Lotus Espirit 2.0 Turbo
1969 Firebird 400CI Ram Air III
netcom

Post by netcom »

Tunes67 wrote:
The last month or so of production in '93 had the DOHC.
Wouldnt that still make the car a 94 as far as year of sale? I mean.. my car has a build date of 11/93.. but the title of the car shows that the year is a 1994. Just curious.

Tunes67
As a general rule of thumb, a production car built July or later in a year will be the next years model. (ie. built 09/05 = a 96 vehicle)
2005 Acura 3.2 TL
1994 Suzuki Sidekick 1.6
1988 Mazda GTX (SOLD)
1984 Lotus Espirit 2.0 Turbo
1969 Firebird 400CI Ram Air III
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

not a cylinder head gasket, a cilinder head COVER gasket. the manual lists the part as a cylinder head cover, but the auto parts lists it as a valve cover gasket
Knightrider

Post by Knightrider »

Valve cover or Head cover, it's the cheap rubber one that you can purchase at almost any car parts store (even Canadian Tire should have them). I've change quite a few on my Mazda trucks and they are pretty straight forward and inexpensive to do yourself. As for the Head gasket, that's a completely other story and requires quite a bit of knowledge and skill to pull the top end off (often referred to as a top-end re-build or top over-haul). Good luck. I'm going to do mine pretty soon myself, since it's leaking a bit of oil all down my engine. I don't think I'll paint my cover, but would like to polish it up a bit ( I like a little bling-bling without going too far).........LOL Take some before & after pics and post em up!!!!

Cheers.......
Steve
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

WingleBeast wrote:am i right to assume a cylinder head cover is the same as a valve cover?

i just want to paint the valve cover, so i dont want a whole gasket set, i just need the 10 dollar gasket right?
yup
Image -Jim

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”