white smoke on cold startup

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Billyd

Post by Billyd »

[/quote]...it smells like burning oil when it does and i get the same smell from it if i start to floor it or go past half throttle.[/quote]

Now THAT sounds like PCV valve on valve cover.....
jamario

Post by jamario »

I'm having the same problem with my car. I notice that oil was leaking from my valve cover gasket. Maybe you could check yours out and see if that's the problem?
IF LIFE DOESN'T OFFER A GAME WORTH PLAYING, THEN INVENT ONE.
Knightrider

Post by Knightrider »

I have noticed that my valve cover gasket does need to be replaced and the engine could use a bit of an engine shampoo cleaning to get rid of all the oil that has been leaking past this gasket. I haven't checked my rubber boot intake yet to see if any water has formed there. But I did add some Bardhal to my oil and it still smoked a lot. Then I decided to get an oil change, which is honestly something I should have done since day 1 (instead of driving the car for the past 3-4 days). I decided to spend a little extra coin and went with Mobil 1 full synthetic oil and a Fram filter. Not sure if going to the synthetic, or just changing to fresh oil made the difference. But the smoking has almost completely gone away on cold start up. I was amazed at the difference!!! The car felt a little smoother too and seemed to be more responsive. I guess you always have to start with the simple things first and go from there?

Cheers.....
Steve

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”