92 GS motor and wiring into 93 RS

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
psyense82

92 GS motor and wiring into 93 RS

Post by psyense82 »

ok... before you all say buy a BP for the RS, or, ZE for the GS... let me explain. i have a chance to purchase a 92 GS from a junkyard for 500 bucks. maine state law says once a car has entered a junkyard it can no longer be rebuilt for the road. so... ive been researching this swap, if someone could look this over and give more advice if they can id appreciate it...

Swap the front clips
Motor
Tranny
Wiring Harness
ECU
Axles
Motormounts
Front Crossmember
Brake Booster Vaccum Hose
Linkage
Speedo Cable
Radiator with Hoses

am i missing anything here? the reason im so headstrong on this swap... is because my luck of finding EVERYTHING needed for a swap this indepth for 500 bucks... is very slim. the car itself shows 120,xxx miles on the odometer. looked like it needed a new disty cap as there were remains of one that had been shattered. battery will be needed, and perhaps fluid check, and plug everything back in. the car mainly sustained damage to rear end.

i guess thats all i got for now...you guys have anything to add?
*note i will not be doing the rx7 hatch conversion, id rather get a BP*
Mazda_Powered

Post by Mazda_Powered »

ok, with the speedo cable, i've been told there's a 1/2 breaking point in the cable. so you dont have to swap the full cable if you dont want to.

also, you CAN use your old throttle cable if you want, its going to be a little shorter, i have a picture of a KLDE installed in a Protege with the Protege throttle cable being used. i'll post it if i can find it.

but seriously man, if you're going to do this swap, it might be worth your time to check out subframes. see if the GS is different from the RS minus the rear tie bar.

i know with my mx3 swap on my protege, im going to be swapping subframes for its extra 30mm in width. and everything else that goes with it.

hope this helps

JACK
.::Mazda::speeD::.

working on the 2nd part ;)
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

If you are going through the trouble to go from an i4 to a v6, do yourself a huge favor and at least use the klde or klze. The k8 is slooowww it blows.
psyense82

Post by psyense82 »

eventually im going to want a ZE.. but.. for the basic swap, im just going to throw the stock GS setup into mine. 500 bucks for everything needed aint to bad of a deal... anyone else have advice
Mazda_Powered

Post by Mazda_Powered »

label bolt bags, because playing the 'which bolt goes where' game isnt to much fun at all!

JACK
.::Mazda::speeD::.

working on the 2nd part ;)
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

IF the main issue is not being able to re-title a salvage, I'd just swap VIN plates on the dash and door sil and call it a day. You just saved two weeks of bust a-- work.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

If by the front clip you mean all the suspension and steering linkage, hubs, struts, etc.. then you are ok. From everything that I have read.. you pretty much will need to swap everything.. take lots of pics of the GS as you disassemble it so you can use the pics for reference when you reassemble it all on your RS. If the rear suspension isnt trashed.. swap it too.. you will get rear disc brakes out of the deal. I thought I was tackling a fairly involved swap with my ATX to MTX swap on my GS. But what you are wanting to do is going to take a very long time.. hope you have air tools ;) Good luck with it.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
psyense82

Post by psyense82 »

the whole VIN idea crossed my mind, but if i get caught.. im in huge trouble. however with all the research ive been doin... startin to think my eyes are bigger then my stomach. the engine swap i cant really say is a go till i get the car so i can look it over more closely, and see just how much BS ill have swim thro. on the off chance i dont do the swap, i still have a gold mine of goodies to dig thro.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”