mx3 gs v6 trans broken question

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
bluemx3

mx3 gs v6 trans broken question

Post by bluemx3 »

I found a 93 mx3 v6 on graigslist, it's automatic in need of a trans. replacement. The owner said the engine runs good and the pictures look good and he also has a used trans. that is supposedly in good condition to replace the bad one. He wants $700.00. He doesn't know the history of the used trans, so he won't garentee it. I just bought a v6 with a manual in very good condition for $1000.00, but I'm thinking of having 2. What do think about the price for a automatic that has to be installed for that price. I'd be willing to install the used trans, but I don't want to do a trans. conversion or have to buy another trans. Am I just looking for headaches buying an automatic.
Owner of 7 different cars, 5 being convertibles. 1990 Miata is one of my summer fun cars. I enjoy that car so much, I thought owning a MX3 would be fun also. Drive with your top open or top down. See my car web site at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/816145
bluemx3

Post by bluemx3 »

This was an old post that I submitted, but never did get any replies. Fortunately, I was able to find a really good deal on a v6 5 speed, but this car is still for sale and I still would like to know if I'm getting into problems installing the used automatic and all things considered is this car worth the $700 he's asking. If anyone has any opinions on automatic vs the 5 speed, please let me know. This guy seems to want to get rid of this car, but I don't need major headaches considering I own several other cars that always need minor attention.
Owner of 7 different cars, 5 being convertibles. 1990 Miata is one of my summer fun cars. I enjoy that car so much, I thought owning a MX3 would be fun also. Drive with your top open or top down. See my car web site at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/816145
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Mazda V6 automatics are problem prone. No more than a US manufactured car, but not great by any means. The 5 speeds are tough as nails though. If you get a auto it is a good idea to have a tranny cooler intalled. Heat seems to kill them the quickest.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

well why dont u use it as a back up car? 700 dlrs not bad and if u got the spare tranny.. if it dont work? manual swap? or well fix and resell? Im sure alot of people here want another mx3 including myselfh
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
madcat85

Post by madcat85 »

I bought a 1992 Mazda MX3 GS V6 and then about a week later...the tranny went. $1,700 later...all fixed.
1992 Mazda MX3 GS V6----FOR SALE!!!!!!
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

you put $1700 into a 92??? OMFG UR NUTZ just swap in a 5 speed from a junkyard for 150 bux
Billyd

Post by Billyd »

bluemx3 wrote:This was an old post that I submitted, but never did get any replies. Fortunately, I was able to find a really good deal on a v6 5 speed, but this car is still for sale and I still would like to know if I'm getting into problems installing the used automatic and all things considered is this car worth the $700 he's asking. If anyone has any opinions on automatic vs the 5 speed, please let me know. This guy seems to want to get rid of this car, but I don't need major headaches considering I own several other cars that always need minor attention.
Hey Blue, I checked out your rides....very cool. Just a question on your MX3...why would you want to put an auto trans in it? These cars are made for manual tranny's!!! Plus with all the auto trans problems I just wouldn't do it.
papadeez15

/

Post by papadeez15 »

well the price u got for the manual looks very good, and even the price for the auto...
and for 700, if u have to replace a tranny, its still a good price if u ask me...and its not too much of a headche if u just install the tranny, ull pay like 200-300 i guess
ur still paying 1000 just like ur automatic, and now days auto is just as expensive as manual
Peter

Return to “Transmissions”