Ground Wire Wires

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
aguiloco

Ground Wire Wires

Post by aguiloco »

hi, what do you think about this upgrate?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... AMEWA%3AIT

really works?

thanks
vozaday2000

Post by vozaday2000 »

I really don't think you would see any gains. It might help if you had a klze or something. I noticed that after i did my swap that i had to put some more ground wires on my car. I have heard that people noticed a difference but i personally can't see it. but it is cheap so give it a try
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/730367 - UPDATED!!!!!!!

'94 MX-3 GS KLZE, KL01 Cams, Fidanza Flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, WeaponR Ram Air, 2 1/4 exhaust, Nichi Neptune Rims, Toyo Proxy 45 Rubber.

Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Hey aguiloco, welcome to the site!

Theres plenty of information about ground wire kits, DIY kits and walk throughs on the site. Try doing a forum search for some detailed info.

The only thing I'd suggest is that the kit in that link is too expensive, so have a look at what others have done and make your decision from there. Post back if you need a bit more help to find what you need, theres plenty of people that can give you a hand.

Cheers and hope you enjoy your stay!
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

I made my own ground wire kit and i didnt notice much difference in performance. However, i do have a much steadier ilde now. Doesnt dip at all when i apply a load at idle. It seems like a decent kit for a reasonable price so would say go for it. Hope this helps

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
max kl

Post by max kl »

i made my own ground wire setup on my klde mx3 and my bp mx3 and both cars ran smoother but the klde ran beter at all rpms

i dasychained the wires from the body ground neat the battery to the rear head then to the distrubutor and to the alternator

also runing a 10 ga wire from the battery to a relay under the rear seat to boost the fuel pump realy made a diffrence.
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

93 gs, klde swap, kl trans, strait 2.5'' ehaust, euro front bumper, cold air intake, hei ign ,50 shot &
9.60s n the 8th mile so far 8.50s sprayn now
150 shot
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

max kl wrote:also runing a 10 ga wire from the battery to a relay under the rear seat to boost the fuel pump realy made a diffrence.
What size fuse did you use?

Mods: Maybe this is a thread for electrical topic?
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
81 Trans AM NASCAR Pace Car
80 Trans Am INDY Pace Car
www.MyMX3.com Domain For Sale!
My Feedback File
max kl

Post by max kl »

15 amp i think and i used the stock fuel pump + supply wire to trigger the relay

i tested voltage at the fuel pump before i added the relay it was 11.5 - 12
at idle and 4k rpm
after i got 14.5 all the time to the pump
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

93 gs, klde swap, kl trans, strait 2.5'' ehaust, euro front bumper, cold air intake, hei ign ,50 shot &
9.60s n the 8th mile so far 8.50s sprayn now
150 shot
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Upgrading the ground wires is nothing new. I remeber the first time I heard about doing this was at least 24 or 25 years ago from a guy that was a fighter aircraft mechanic in Germany during WWII. This was in the days before there were a lot of electronics in aircraft and cars. Iron and steel is a poor conductor of electricty and aluminum is a better conductor but oxidizes easily forming a highly resistant surface layer. The potential of transfer of energy is less if there is a great deal of resistance in the circuit. On the other hand copper (especially 110 electrical grade) is a very good conductor of electricty increasing the potential transfer of energy. Also electricity is transfers on the surface of strand of wire not the core of the wire so increasing the number of strands of wire within a wire gauge size increases electricity transfer. As already pointed out there can be a 2-3 volt lose due to natural resistance using the metal of the car body and frame. This means that there as much as a 20% increase in voltage going to the ignition and other electrical componants of the car. Making sure the alternator cylinder head is grounded directly back to the battery is important. The alternator is obevious but the cylinder head any not be as well grounded as the rest of the engine because things like the coating on the head gasket and plating on the bolts for example can act like a resistor recuding power to the spark plugs. One thing to look for with this ground wire kits is the wire itself. Some of these kit I see uses cheaper low strand count wire which doesn't pass as much current as high strand wire like welding cable. In some of the kits I also see cheaper brass distribution blocks instead of copper. In short you could see a significant gain but you will never see a loss of power and the engine will run a lot smoother.
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

Yoda wrote: Also electricity is transfers on the surface of strand of wire not the core of the wire so increasing the number of strands of wire within a wire gauge size increases electricity transfer.

Stranded wire increases surface area for any given gauge size. for example: If a #10 stranded wire had enough strands it could have the same current carrying capacity as a #6 solid wire.
Yoda wrote: As already pointed out there can be a 2-3 volt lose due to natural resistance using the metal of the car body and frame. This means that there as much as a 20% increase in voltage going to the ignition and other electrical componants of the car.

This of course would depend on load size.

Here is another thread that may be of interest. http://mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=48049
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
81 Trans AM NASCAR Pace Car
80 Trans Am INDY Pace Car
www.MyMX3.com Domain For Sale!
My Feedback File

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”