What car to get?

Off-Topic Discussions
Barambambase

What car to get?

Post by Barambambase »

Finally nice paying job! Im looking into this baibys.

RX8
350Z
Subaru Sti or Wagon WRX
Delicious RX7
Lotus Elise(i wish i had money for Exige :? )

No kids just gonna be used by 2.

I've driven all of them and i cant decide. I have a month to choose. Decisions decisionssssss ummmmmmmmmm :arrow:
f--- RACING IN STRAIGH LINES, whats the point?
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

personally id go with rx7
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

the lotus definately.

the handling in those is insane. A few upgrades and you have yourself one of the best rides IMO in the world.
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

Lotus definitely.
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Another Mx3... definately

Or a 95 Mustang GT so you can own in the straight line :P

EDIT: Really though, a MR2 project car would be tight

sorry, I know that isnt on your choice list, just saying though
Last edited by Juans_93_MX3 on February 19th, 2006, 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

Surely if you've driven them all you'd have a fair idea which one's meet your needs?

only a masochist would live with an Elise day-to-day?!

me, i'd go for the RX7, especially if it's one of the very last ones :driver:
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
93-Spec-Edn

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

I would get the lotus or rx-8. Rx-7tt are not the most reliable cars in the world and r expensive for a 10+ year ols car.
92 mx-3 RS RIP | 95 mx-3 GS sold | 93 mx-3 GS SE sold | 95 mx-3 GS present
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

I didnt notice where you lived. It says Ontario Canada. If you plan on a year round then not the lotus maybe the subaru for the AWD but if its just a summer car then I stick with the lotus.

If you've ever ridden in an elise then you'd know exactly what I'm talking about. If I could afford one I would definately have one instead of the mx3. The mx3 handles like a 54 caddy compared to the go-cart that is the elise.
Flashpoint2

Post by Flashpoint2 »

The lotus is a track car. Even with the exige in the lineup, the elise is not something you want to drive on the streets as a daily driver.. way to harsh. IMHO I'd probably find a Supra or an RX7
1996 MX-3 RS - Sold.
2004 RX-8 GS - Yay!
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

STi is a siccckkk car, but real hard on fuel :shock: I like the g35 over the 350Z :)
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Re: What car to get?

Post by jschrauwen »

Barambambase wrote:RX8
350Z
Subaru Sti or Wagon WRX
Delicious RX7
Lotus Elise
I've driven all of them and i cant decide.
Even after test drive, you still can't decide ....??? Strange since there's quite subtle differences between most of them. I always thought there was general set of Q's that needed to be answered that would determine what would be the "best choice"

Use of car? - Is it going to be a daily driver? - Since it will be used by 2 people, it appears obvious that it will be. Therefore which of the list would be best suited for "daily use".

Type of purchase? - Is this going to be an outright buy or a lease? - This was never mentioned and can be a deciding factor of one over the other.

Best application? - Since it's going to be a daily driver and it's going to be used in Ontario - how well will it perform under our 4 season weather and road conditions? Are you living in the city or rural? - Car selection for each application can make a difference! How will each perform during our winter conditions espacially?

Budget? - Obviously you are in a financial situation to consider some various expensive options. That said, as well as noting that it will be used by 2 people, I wouldn't even consider either vehicle but rather - getting 2 "less expensive" cars that would meet both individual needs and well as the geographic and weather applications. The buy vs lease Q's are also applicable here since lease fine print usually limit the amoust of mileage you can accumulate and with a possible 2 drivers this could get overwhelmingly expensive that by getting 2 cars.

Long term? - With the exception of the Subaru, I don't believe that I would even consider any of the others. Again this ties into the previous statements as to the right car for the right application. There's those of us now who have taken our MX's off the road and limit it's use to summer use only. The same sort of rationale should or would apply here even more so given the exotic nature of most of them. Storage of these very pricey potential daily drivers is also a big condideration. - Do you have your own garage for storage, protection, security? This is a big consideration since parking a Lotus in an appartment parking lot or on city streetside curb parking would be just inviting trouble. That isn't to say it wouldn't happen to either of them but obviously the exotic nature of these increases your security/protection needs dramatically.

After going through the above "self test", the decision would be clear given only the selection provided - Subaru. IMO, an excellent choice and I was quite impressed when I test drove a new Outback and a new Forrester.
Outside of that selection, my other choice that would fit nicely into all of the "self test", IMO would be;

Image Image

'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

solo_ryder wrote: I like the g35 over the 350Z :)
:2thumbsup: for the G35
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

I'd go with a G35 Coupe over the 350Z as said before. As for your list:

1. RX-7 is expensive, old, and unreliable. I know from personal experience. Also, if you're looking for a loan for this car good luck. No auto loan place will give you a loan for it so be prepared to have $12,000 cash in hand. But they are so great when you are actually driving it.

2. Lotus Elise is gonna be really hard on your a--, no homo.

3. Subaru STi is a good choice for your location with the snow, they are fast as hell and pretty nice looking but I don't like the new grill Subaru gave them.

4. RX-8 is nice but definitely not my type of car. It feels so torqueless, like a Honda S2000. Its considerably slower than all these other cars, doesnt handle much better than all your choices and its kinda funny looking to me.

5. 350Z is a really good car. Good power, good handling, beautiful exhaust tone. An all around performer but I think the G35 Coupe is so much sexier that I'd get that instead. I was contemplating selling my RX-7 FD3S for a G35 Coupe soon. I think next year its going to happen. I just want one last summer with my RX.

Out of all your choices I'd go with the STi or 350Z. Personally I don't think the other cars on your list should even be considered compared to these two. I also think you should consider the G35 Coupe and the Mitsubishi EVO VIII or EVO IX.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
Barambambase

Post by Barambambase »

I just got back from Mt Shasta California. Beautiful place. 9 hours drive from my house.

I live in Ontario California sunny hot and smoggy valley, i should change the CA, as i see is confusing.

With my job, im only gonna drive my car an average of 3 days a week. And no snow around here, so all year round car but I mountain climb, so the 4x4 would come very handy in snowy mountain roads and desert dirt roads. During this trip my wife and i(we had plenty of time jejeje) talked about the car to get, and it all depends on her now really, if she wants to change her Mazda 3 for a subaru outback or impreza wrx wagon, my choice would be a more sporty one, like 350 o elise or sti. If she chooses not to change her 3, then i think the Subaru wagon its the winner. I would also like to enjoy the posibility of having a subaru for this cheap (im from spain) they are way way more expensive over there.

I like the Mini is a fun car, i've heard the mini works is amazing. The Elise is wonderful, as someone said a kart. I agree with you the elise is very race oriented, the exige must be so painful that is pleasurable.

Thanks to all for help offered. I will keep you updated on wifes decisions. It all depends of what she does. The thing is we would like a subaru for its loading capability,4x4 for our hobby and itssss fun to drive.

Thanks again. May the force be with you all
f--- RACING IN STRAIGH LINES, whats the point?
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

go for s2000
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

Return to “Off-Topic”