Doing a KLZE and MTX swap at the same time, good idea?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Juans_93_MX3

Doing a KLZE and MTX swap at the same time, good idea?

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

By next year I plan to save atleast $2500 for a KLZE, 5speed Mx6/626 tranny with bell housing, clutch plate, ect.
Anyway, I have seen mx6, 626, probe and mx3 5speed trannys with clutch plate and everything else go for $500-$800.

Anyway, enough talk about expenses, do you guys think that doing a 5speed and KLZE swap at the same time is a good idea?
Anyone got any advice?
I heard a KLZE swap should be really easy. Some people say that its more like a bolt-on mod. I kind of find it hard to believe. Is it really like that?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
vozaday2000

Post by vozaday2000 »

it is really quite easy. just make sure you have everything marked so you know where it goes afterward. if you are doing the engine swap and have a atx then yes do the mtx swap while you are doing the engine swap. as long as you know how to use your basic tools and where everything hooks up to afterward you won't have a problem. you basically have to disconnect the engine to do the tranny swap anyways so might as well save some time and do them at the same time
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/730367 - UPDATED!!!!!!!

'94 MX-3 GS KLZE, KL01 Cams, Fidanza Flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, WeaponR Ram Air, 2 1/4 exhaust, Nichi Neptune Rims, Toyo Proxy 45 Rubber.

Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

for the tranny swap you will need mx3 axles etc, although you can use the gearbox from an mx6
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
MX3 GSR for dummies

Post by MX3 GSR for dummies »

I have caught wind of some mechanics who swear that you can transplant the outer parts to accomidate the larger mx6/626 transaxles so you can use the tranny too. The knuckles are the problem...too small. I have been debating this option......but meanwhile I'll just keep pounding the mx3 tranny with the KLZE untill it explodes...hehe :twisted:
ALTHOUGH I am impressed how much the mx3 tranny has held up to my abuse so far!!!!! I would put the mx-3 tranny again...the only gain is the gear ratio which could be exciting!!!!!

:?: PARTS YOU'LL NEED... Manual tranny :shock:
clutch cable
clutch and brake pedal assembly
left/right transaxle seals- don't trust old ones
linkage and stick sock

It's not hard but be patient. Make sure to connect the sensors so you have reverse. Good luck......the linkage will be the hardest to find
The rubber shock obsorbers where the stick comes through the floor board always dries out so be careful not to tear rip or crack these...if it does happen, just drill (2) 1/4" holes about an inch apart through the plate underneath and the floor board and put 1/4" nuts and bolts to hold it in place...make sure to use lock seal. The movement between shift causes stress on the bolts and will loosen them if not - personal experience!
If at first you don't succeed....it never happened

94 mx3 GS w/ KLZE, KL31 ECU, clutchmaster stage 3, cross drilled rotors, Custom ram air intake, Custom exhaust, Toyo tires, 250LPH fuel pump, Modified Distributor, Upgraded Wiring etc, external HEI, Full Body Drift kit and freshly painted Grey. Interior neon accents and much more in progress
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

The gear ratio difference is almost nil. I have a MX-6 trans and can barely notice even in 5th gear.
The Mx-6 trans will bolt up just the same. I've heard of people having issues with the MX-6 being larger, but they are the same casing and everything so it should go in just the same as a MX-3 version G series trans.
As for the axles, yes you have to use MX-3 ones to accomidate the smaller width chasis.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
opdmize

Post by opdmize »

I did a KL-ZE + auto -> manual swap and it was not that bad. Email me if you have any questions.
1993 MX-3 GS/SE KL-ZE'd

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”