Clicking noise when turning in slow speed

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
kkyin

Clicking noise when turning in slow speed

Post by kkyin »

I'm hearing clicking noise from the left front when I turn left in slow speed, like when I pulling up to park. I don't notice the nosie at all when it is fast. Any likely reason?

Thanks
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Possible worn CV (Constant Velocity) joint... clicks at slower speeds when wearing out and clicking gets worse at wider range of speed as the CV joint wears out more.
Image -Jim
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

I agree sounds like your cv axle. If the noise happens while turning left should be your right side cv joint. Easy to check, just get under the car and inspect the cv joint to see if the rubber boot is torn. If so that is your problem. They are easy to replace. Search "CV AXLE" and there are a number of threads dealing with how to's on this topic.

Nate
Reaver19

Post by Reaver19 »

Not to hijack your thread, but I think I'm having a slightly similiar problem...the noise isn't so much a clicking but a thumping noise, it's definately coming from the driver side front tire area. It's only when drifting, when the car is accelerating there are no abnormal noises. I'd also better add that whenever the car goes faster than 25mph it shakes the steering wheel and when it's over 40mph it shakes a little more than the steering wheel, not the whole car, but still... Any ideas?
93' MX-3 - V6 (complete!) KLDE Engine, KL02 VAF, custom fog lights :)
tradske

Post by tradske »

I have the same noise but mine is my inner fender. one of the plugs came out so it hangs a little. if your car is lowered then this might be the issue. also i had a ripped boot and it caused the car to shake, take your foot of the accelerator and it should stop. usually it shook through 2nd and 3rd gears but once i got to 4th it stopped. hope this helps
kkyin

Post by kkyin »

I just replaced the CV axle. So that can be elminiated.
I noise it when I straighten my wheel after turning left.
The noisehappens as I am turning my wheel, but not when I'm holding it and turn.
93_mx3_gs

Post by 93_mx3_gs »

Reaver19 wrote:Not to hijack your thread, but I think I'm having a slightly similiar problem...the noise isn't so much a clicking but a thumping noise, it's definately coming from the driver side front tire area. It's only when drifting, when the car is accelerating there are no abnormal noises. I'd also better add that whenever the car goes faster than 25mph it shakes the steering wheel and when it's over 40mph it shakes a little more than the steering wheel, not the whole car, but still... Any ideas?
Sounds like wheel bearings.
kkyin

Post by kkyin »

any (simple) way to verify that?
93_mx3_gs

Post by 93_mx3_gs »

Jack up the car, brace it really good so it doesn't fall and shake the sh*t out of the wheels. If they move around and jiggle without the vehicle. Bearings. If they don't shake loosely from the vehicle ( The whole car shakes and the tire doesn't move seperate from the motion. ) Not the wheel bearings.

Easiest way I can think of.
93_mx3_gs

Post by 93_mx3_gs »

Something else I would check, Look closely at the rims in and outside and see if they have any significant damage to them like it, you hit a curb or ran something big over. If there is , whatever happened to the rim might have put enough stress on the metal to bend it and the wheel is no longer in balance rotation. Which would explain some high speed shakes.

Another thing you can look for as well is check tie rods n' what not in the alignment parts. Make sure everything is tight, lubricated and connected the way it should be.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”