Rough running Engine

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
ariesdude

Rough running Engine

Post by ariesdude »

I just discovered something with my engine - when i start it cold the idle rpm is at about 1500 and then drops down to 1000 in the next 45 secs and drops very slowly to 800 as the engine temparature starts going up. If i let the idle reach below 1000 rpm before i drive - then the engine is smooth and has great pickup throughout the drive. If i am impatient and start driving before that then the engine runs rough for the entire drive and there is a noticeable loss of power too - even after the engine is hot. Is this normal -if not what could be the problem. Thanks for all your help.
mycarhatesme

Post by mycarhatesme »

i drive a 1992 rs 1.6 sohc. im havin that EXACT same issue. however, mine is due to a bad water pump which needs to be replaced, ASAP...still looking around for the right mechanic to do my work, since i suck a--.
My names Dave, and Mazda has direct access to my bank account...sighs...
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

mine is a 94 1.6L DOHC - and i am pretty sure my water pump is ok - i have been driving it for some time now and it hasnt overheated yet. But i think the problem may be the coolant temp sensor - i am going to replace it soon - just to see what happens.....
mycarhatesme

Post by mycarhatesme »

i just replaced my sensor....seems to have helped my idling a bit...however, im sure once my water pump goes in, things will be a lot smoother.
dude33694

Water Pump

Post by dude33694 »

Dave, I just finished one on the MX-3 here if youre local maybe we could arrange something... Let me know, Im in Atlanta...

-Taylor
mycarhatesme

Post by mycarhatesme »

im canadian eh :).

im located in the middle of a mennonite convention. if anyone knows listowel, ontario...its redneck heaven. i could prolly drive my car as far as toronto...but im not even sure if it would make it that far to be honest.

so, if anyone in ontario, within 2 hours of listowel wants to help my a-- out, id be interested in working with ya, as long as you arent hitting on me if your gay, u dont have a weirdo attitude, and u absolutly cant hate rap.

lol...im a picky SOB
mycarhatesme

Post by mycarhatesme »

i almost forgot to thank you very kindly for your attempts to help out.....your the first person on this site to offer a hand...good on ya!!!

*cheers*
Billyd

Post by Billyd »

Yeah, he's a good kid (Taylor) who also happens to be my nephew!!! He does good work and loves Mazdas. He's a very helpful young man. Looking at your problem it does sound like something in your cooling system, either your thermostat, water pump, heater coil (does your heater work?), maybe something as simple as your timing?.....Good luck!
mycarhatesme

Post by mycarhatesme »

my ride needs to get pimped, but Atlanta..lol..i doubt my car, in its current condition, would make it through new york...

< ontario here.

but thanks again.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”