Mass Airflow Sensor

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
p2ery

Mass Airflow Sensor

Post by p2ery »

Has anyone replaced their Mass Airflow Sensor? I need some tips when I get my new one in.
P2ery™
CarMan1

Post by CarMan1 »

MAF right? the big box on the intake system? yeh u just unplug it, take pipes off the ends, re-hook pipes up to new one and plug the plug back in .....
p2ery

Post by p2ery »

See I'm not sure what all I need to replace. I bought a Cold Air Intake & I disconected the cable, well after I re-assembled everything. My car would not start. So I disconnected the cable & it started up, but the idle is crazy & even sometimes dies, & the CHECK ENGINE light is on too. So I am going to see if I can get a new MAF. The two parts store I have called listed prices at 190$ + 35 Core fee.
P2ery™
Cynic94rs

Why buy new?

Post by Cynic94rs »

I have a used one in working condition I'll part with cheaper. PM me.

Replacing a MAF is as simple as disconnecting the battery, disconnecting a single electrical connector, and loosing the screw attaching the MAF to the intake tube. Though the MAF is a sensor there is nothing to calibrate -- it's set from the factory.

Did you run your computer for codes and it pinpointed the MAF as your problem? If not, it could get expensive to keep throwing new parts at the problem, hoping to find the source of the trouble.
p2ery

Post by p2ery »

when I my car was running & the MAF was disconnected, I just tried to connect the cable & the car died on me. I disconnected the battery when I was installing everything.
P2ery™
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

I dont know how much help it will be - but have you tried putting the stock intake setup back on - just to see if the MAF is dead or if its something else.... Also there is a procedure to test MAF in the online manual - Page F1-160
I had similar symptoms once when i was cleaning out the filter - the problem was i had forgotten to connect the hose that goes the Idle control valve.
CarMan1

Post by CarMan1 »

if u have any leaks in the intake system also the car wont run right... the maf calculates how much air the car needs, and if anything is off by a little every time u hit the gas it will choke....
p2ery

Post by p2ery »

Well, I have disconnected & reconnected everything several times & everytime the MAF is connected the car will not start, but when it is disconnected the car will start. The only thing I can think of is the MAF. See when I disconnect the MAF & look inside where the plug connects I dont see anything for it to connect to, like I tore all the electrical thing out or something. So I might even need to replace the cable too.
P2ery™
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

So to confirm what you're saying...with the electrical connection to the MAF NOT connected, the car runs. But with that same connection CONNECTED, the car will not run?

That's really odd because from personal experience and reading on the forums, I didn't think the car would run at all without the MAF being connected. When I unplug mine, the check engine light comes on and the car won't even start.

Maybe you posted it backwards?
93 MX-3 BP - Worklog
p2ery

Post by p2ery »

No , I posted right. The check engine light was on & the car started, but it was rough as heck. I fixed it with new MAF & car runs better now. Ty to all that helped
P2ery™

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”