Trouble Starting

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
DontPanic

Trouble Starting

Post by DontPanic »

A few days ago the car would not start. It just turned over, no detenation. Now the car will start but it takes 3 seconds before it fires up. Always 3 seconds. I am getting trouble code 4 (cam/crank) and trouble code 10 (Intake temperature). A few months ago I did the external coil pack and ignition module conversion. Anyone have any ideas? I desperately have to solve this problem soon.

Thanks,

Devon
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

ok yes i am not paranoid but well check fuel lines.. mine did the same thing before it cought fire..also a common issue is well just get a tune up, plug wires , plugs, distributor cap and rotor and you should be fine.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
DontPanic

Post by DontPanic »

Did a complete tune up as you mentioned 7 months ago. Could the cam or crank sensor cause the delay in starting?
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

i am not sure because that sensor is only a mic, i would advice check cap and rotor and wires just in case, also vacuum leaks?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
DontPanic

Post by DontPanic »

I just pulled the ignition wire off the cap on the rotor that come from the external coil pack. I put a spark plug in it and turned the key. It takes 3 seconds of cranking before I get spark. What would cause that? Seems like a problem with either the ignition module (which is new) or cam/crank sensor. Is there a relay in the mix somewhere that could be on the go?
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

eh external ? i tought we had internal.. yeah seems ignitiopn related.
-hec

PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

The crank sensor tells the car when each piston is ready to be fired. If it doesn't work the car won't start at all. It could be on the fritz though. It is basically a very small electrical generator that sends a pulse every time the crank pully cog passes by the sensor. This pulse is then fed to the computer and then to the disty telling the disty when to fire. Check the crank pulley cog and maybe try a new sensor. They are easy to find at a junk yard and the KL and K8 use the same one. So any V6 Mazda except the Millinea S (haven't checked that one yet, but may be the same)
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”