ZE is in... and now it runs too!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Nallboy
Supporting Member

ZE is in... and now it runs too!

Post by Nallboy »

I know I've been on hiatus, so I apologize for that. Thanks for the love, ccreech! But the news is she's been running for about two weeks now! I just made it through my "break-in," I've been working out the kinks, and now I'm down to running rich (plus dealing with a small vacuum leak and no power to my ac compressor). But that'll be taken care of as soon as I can get a few spare hours...

Anyways, the thing flies! ...or at least I tell myself that. I know it's alot faster than anything else I've driven lately (meaning my GS, a friend's Stang, and an 03 SI), but I still feel like there's a loss of power. I'm sure a small amount due to running rich, but it feels like the VRIS might not be functioning properly. I can definitely feel it kick in around 4K, but it doesn't seem to do as much at the second VRIS point...

My car sounds amazing. My setup: HotShot headers, Magnaflow high-flow cat, glasspack resonator, and OBX Greddy Evo Muffler (yeah the ebay one...) all joined with 2.5" flex bent piping. I'm in love with the sound; it's exactly the deep, sexy sound I was wanting: no rice.

I'll be posting some pics of my engine bay soon cause words don't do it justice ::patting my own back::.

Any input (esp. on the VRIS thing)? I know I need to get her dynoed, but I will get to that as soon as I feel like she's tuned properly.
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

Paper test: Put a piece of paper between the VRIS actuator and the stop. Drive around, rev the engine up to 6500, and then look at the actuators. If the paper is gone, then they're working. While the car is off or the VRIS's are closed it should hold the paper there because you stick the paper between the Stop and the actuator.

If theyre still there, that means your VRIS didnt open.
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

That makes sense. Thanks, man. It's very possible that the image I'd psyched up over the past year was just too much to live up to...

...one more thing - kinda pissed me off: I won't say I was racing or anything, more like trying to get to Tallahassee in time for the game, when I hit cut-off at 115. I bought my ECU from Lazzyie (sp?) about a year ago, and it was supposed to come with no speed limiter... does anyone know how/where I can find out how to take it off? From what I've heard it's as simple as bypassing a resistor... I just don't know which one.
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

it is simpler than that even, cut the wire shown below. It is black and white. If you do a search there is a recent post (I posted in it today) regarding this...

1993 Wiring Diagrams
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

ouch...busted.

Thanks, bro.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

The second VRIS won't hit as hard as the first one. The 4,000 RPM one is the one that kicks you in the pants.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

lakersfan1 wrote:The second VRIS won't hit as hard as the first one. The 4,000 RPM one is the one that kicks you in the pants.
For me feels more like a light tap on the back saying "thanks for coming out John ....he he he". A wideband O2 may make a big difference in reducing the rich running ZE syndrome when you go to get dyno'd.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

Nallboy wrote:That makes sense. Thanks, man. It's very possible that the image I'd psyched up over the past year was just too much to live up to...
Tell me about it, The ZE swap is over hyped by many people. When you think about it you gain what 60 HP <if your lucky> Thats by no means a neck snapping increase.

To me the ZE just feels like what the car should have come with.... :shrug:
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

It is also relatively a cheap upgrade.... I definately wouldnt expect 400hp with 2000$ unless I have a DSM, and then Id need 2000$ to fix it after an afternoon.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

correct me if im wrong..but thats the ecu for a 4 cyl engine...

quote="bmwm3guy"]it is simpler than that even, cut the wire shown below. It is black and white. If you do a search there is a recent post (I posted in it today) regarding this...

1993 Wiring Diagrams[/quote]
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Haveing the ze inmy mx feels like a totally diff car. I had to go back to my k8 for awile...man it was sooo slow lol.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
93-Spec-Edn

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

XxantwawnxX wrote:Haveing the ze inmy mx feels like a totally diff car. I had to go back to my k8 for awile...man it was sooo slow lol.
From watching the vids of your car amd other peoples, yours seems to be one of the quicker ones out there that i have seen. The ZE i got to drove was also super quick.
92 mx-3 RS RIP | 95 mx-3 GS sold | 93 mx-3 GS SE sold | 95 mx-3 GS present
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

What was sapping power from my ZE:
Two things:
(sorry so long)

I broke my drivers CV Axle yesterday after picking up a fellow Mxer (doing a ZE swap as well) for a ride. It died after shifting into second kinda hard. I just replaced the thing about a year ago... I bought another OEM replacement to put in tonight, but I'm taking the broken one and my old pass. side axle to a shop to get some "unbreakables" made up.

Anyways, I was talking to my uncle/across-the-street-mechanic (everyone needs one of those), and he sounded really surprised that it broke so quickly. After I explained that the OEMs suck balls and break constantly on other ZEs, he revealed that he only TOLD me he'd advanced the timing...
I'd been running two degrees retarded during my break-in, and I didn't check the timing myself after he "advanced it." He just didn't trust me. He kinda thought I'd be pissed about that, but I'm sure you can see why I was overjoyed.

Also, I was running with a friend in his SI Friday night - actually, I destroyed him - and when I got back to the house, my left rear was smoking. I have a seized caliper. Not fun, but it's all good, cause I thought I'd been smelling my clutch the past couple days, and clutch$>caliper$. Plus that's another reason the pull wasn't there.

I was relatively satisfied with the ZE before; I can't wait to see what she'll do if I actually take care of her. :froggie_red:

John=psyched...but broke as hell
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

If your using remanufaturerd axles, they would be weather than OEM's because of that...Gro has a nice writeup about it when he snapped one.

I'm using remans on my ZE for about 2 years now with a good hundred runs and haven't snapped one, but the minute I do, I'm sticking away from remans, even tho they have a lifetime warranty, it doesn't help when your stranded.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

Awesome news NallBoy. We were thinking about you this week. We were in the Jacksonville area on vacation. If I thought that we had the time, I would have hit you up and tried to come by and see your progress. Glad to hear that its in and running.
93 GS KLZE Straight Neck (Parked)
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”