Would faulty EGR cause back pressure and make it burn oil??

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
xraycat

Would faulty EGR cause back pressure and make it burn oil??

Post by xraycat »

My codes say I have a faulty EGR and when I start my car cold I have blue smoke until the engine spins up for a bit or it gets warm.

I wonder if the EGR would be causing back pressure and making the oil blow by the seals and into the combustion chamber. Does this make sense? Could this happen?

Anyone that could help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
jordan69

Post by jordan69 »

no, if your egr is messed up you wont really notice it, your blowing smoke when you start your vehicle because your valve seals must be passing.
You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a White guy, the best golfer is a black guy, The Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the US of arrogance, and Germany doesn't want to go to war
xraycat

Post by xraycat »

What does it cost to get those replaced?
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Valve seals are rather spendy to get replaced.. such a tiny easy to do job.. but.. you have to take most of the engine apart on the top end to do the work.. time consuming job.. most shops will charge you $400-$700 US depending on the shop and possibly more than that since you will need various new gaskets when the engine is put back together. Unless you can do the engine work yourself.. its usually not that much more expensive to just replace the engine.. again.. assuming you can do some or all of the work yourself. Best of luck.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
xraycat

Post by xraycat »

so if i can replace the seals myself it won't cost much at all? or will having to buy all the new gaskets raise the cost anyway?

i'd definetly be into doing it with a buddy if i can get the parts and gaskets for cheap but if it is gonna be expensive for just those pieces i dunno what i would do.

swapping the engine would be sweet especially if i could get a 2.5L but then how would i know how good the new one would be...? o well.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”