New KLZE..What do you think.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

why dont you swap it in.. if its a de it be worth it :)
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

A few things other than the intake manifold. The disty is a one connector external coil disty (which is a trait of a ZE) Also the water neck pick is not large enough to tell if it has two or three sensors so I don't see how the guy above could tell that. Also the motor has sat for a bit, you can tell by the amount of rust on the pullies. The longer a motor sits the better chance it will not work. Also gudging by the amount of white stuff inside the upper radiator hose motor has some miles on it. That corrosion build-up doesn't happen quickly.
Also you really need a head code and a look under the vavle cover. You need to check under the valve cover for sludge build-up (if there is much cludge it will tell you that the oil wasn't changed properly and/or the motor was run hard) also take your finger and pick up some of the oil out of the head when the valve cover is off. Rub it between your fingers and if you feel much grit in the oil, the oil wasn't changed or filter wasn't changed like it should have been. Check behind the butterfly for the same thing to see if they changed the air filter regularly and also see how much carbon is in there. The more that is present the older or harder run the motor is. They can wash the outside of a motor, but they don't touch under valve covers or butterlys, so that is a good way to see what condition the motor is in.
This is all if you can acutally go and see the motor. If not you should try and find someone who can or you are going to need to be very trusting and be prepared to get a motor that is not to your likeing. Also you could state what you will accept and what you won't then send them a copy of that in writingand have them sign it. Then if things aren't as said you can return the motor.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
millaj01

Post by millaj01 »

jschrauwen wrote:Jordan, may I recommend a good read on the attached thread. There's some good info that you can gleen from this stuff. Although millaj01's pics are apparently no longer supported, I think you'll find that that has to be one of the best sourced ZE's I've ever seen. I think he was prudent in being specific in getting a ZE with the Millennia IM and TB and ensuring that he verified the heads, cams and pistons. Those that will remember it was an extremely clean looking engine. He lives near the Detroit area and had it shipped from a supplier from the east coast. I believe his costs were approx $850usd for the engine and approx $125usd for shipping. Very good price IMO. I can probably understand your desire to source within Canada, but I believe that the source for millaj01's engine was one of the better ones. Add an extra $100.usd plus $125 duty and taxes (these are a little on the high side to be safe), you're still looking at $1,200.usd which is still cheaper in the long run. Another alternate possibility would be to find out from the MX West boys (James or Taras) what would be good places to investigate for a quality ZE. Something like this, you don't want to cut corners on or rush into, but I would definitely stay away from those creatons that tried to pawn off that K8 as a ZE. Good luck.

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... ht=#272808
Hey Solo,

Going back to jschrauwen's and Gro's posts......the second set of pictures you posted looks very much like the KLZE I just swapped in. This would be a ZE from a Millennia w/the curved intake and KL68 TB. You can compare it against the pictures I posted in my thread (referenced by jschrauwen above) on trying to identify my own ZE as genuine...I uploaded the pics again so they should show now. The thread also contains lots of good info on how to explicitly ID a real KLZE.

That being said, I would second Gro's opinion about how to acquire a ZE. Simply put, get the straight neck ZE w/the better cams....then source a curved neck IM later. That way you're sure to get a ZE (not a poser), and also have the best performance.
'93 MX-3 GS Image
deyan

Post by deyan »

Slammed6 wrote:
Also Y would Mazda make 2 different cams with the same Stamping code?? I have read and read about that, but i still don't belive that the KL-01 cams are any stronger than the US KL-01.

Also if anyone is interested in a KL-ZE (straight or Curve neck) i can get them for a whole lot cheaper than most shops..PM if you wanna know more.
BECAUSE THEY WERE MEASURED! Mike Seli (who used to do cams for our cars) measured them. As a metter of fact there were as many as 3 DIFFERENT CAMS STAMPTED AS KL01 WITH DIFFERENT GRINDS!!!
93 KLZE PROBE - GroundZ grounding kit, Straight Pipe, F/R STB, WAI, Nology Hotwires, Ractive slotted and drilled rotors, and Stillen brake pads, Kumho 711, 2000 626 16mm swaybar....
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

BECAUSE THEY WERE MEASURED! Mike Seli (who used to do cams for our cars) measured them. As a metter of fact there were as many as 3 DIFFERENT CAMS STAMPTED AS KL01 WITH DIFFERENT GRINDS!!!
Like i said i have read about it. And it just doesn't make sense. if mazda stamped it KL-01 then they made those cams to a specific spec and thats it. Y didn't they just say F**k calling the KL-31's that, lets name them KL-01 and just regrind them. It doesn't work like that. So if you called mazda and said i want KL-01 cam, will they ask what kind of KL-01? NO, thats y they have part numbers, if they change the specs on it it gets a new part number.

Just like some have seen rare occurances of the engine, depending on where your was made, i believe its just one of those things that was a screw up.
deyan

Post by deyan »

Slammed6 wrote:
Like i said i have read about it. And it just doesn't make sense. if mazda stamped it KL-01 then they made those cams to a specific spec and thats it. Y didn't they just say F**k calling the KL-31's that, lets name them KL-01 and just regrind them. It doesn't work like that. So if you called mazda and said i want KL-01 cam, will they ask what kind of KL-01? NO, thats y they have part numbers, if they change the specs on it it gets a new part number.

Just like some have seen rare occurances of the engine, depending on where your was made, i believe its just one of those things that was a screw up.

When was the last time you went to a dealership and got Jspec parts from them?....
93 KLZE PROBE - GroundZ grounding kit, Straight Pipe, F/R STB, WAI, Nology Hotwires, Ractive slotted and drilled rotors, and Stillen brake pads, Kumho 711, 2000 626 16mm swaybar....
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

:lol: I'm done...haha I'm off to find myself some KL-31 cams that happen to be stamped KL-01 :thup:
deyan

Post by deyan »

ok.... except I never said they are the same cams. The Jspec KL01 cams, still produce 200hp except at LOWER RPM.

But when you have weak KLZE retainers, I much rather have the 200hp earlier...

but anyway, I guess we'll see what happens at the San diego dyno on the 10th...
u r going, right?
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

I guess we'll see what happens at the San diego dyno on the 10th...
u r going, right?
Nah i ain't going...I don't participate in those meets anymore.

Also you forgot to mention...the ZE with the KL-01 cams has a different manifold. A manifold which produces more HP and flows better than the straight neck ZE. The ZE with KL-01's make the 200 HP by the manifold making more HP than a Straight neck. That shows that the KL-01 cams can't be as strong as the KL-31 cams, because the difference in cams is made up by the manifold.
The Jspec KL01 cams, still produce 200hp except at LOWER RPM.
Actually ur wrong...both make 200 HP at 6500 RPM, just the Curve neck ZE with the KL01 cams makes the torque at a lower RPM.
deyan

Post by deyan »

and u know that the curved neck intake manifold flows better how? Have you done any flow tests? Maybe talked to the engineers that designed them?

U are just making speculations with no basis to back it up. I dont know for sure that the cams are different, but Mike Seli has measured them and has noted the difference. U on the otherhand have done neither....

but anyways...
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

and u know that the curved neck intake manifold flows better how? Have you done any flow tests? Maybe talked to the engineers that designed them?

U are just making speculations with no basis to back it up. I dont know for sure that the cams are different, but Mike Seli has measured them and has noted the difference. U on the otherhand have done neither....

but anyways...
:lol: Dyno my friend....Dyno! :lol:

And i have researched the difference between the manifold and cams...But i guess you already knew that.
dewthis

Post by dewthis »

Also you forgot to mention...the ZE with the KL-01 cams has a different manifold. A manifold which produces more HP and flows better than the straight neck ZE. The ZE with KL-01's make the 200 HP by the manifold making more HP than a Straight neck. That shows that the KL-01 cams can't be as strong as the KL-31 cams, because the difference in cams is made up by the manifold.
This is along the same line as the KFZE cams are the most aggressive. Its been said a THOUSAND times the "J-Spec" KL-01 cams make the same power as the KL-31 cams, just at a lower rpm. Why do you think the manifolds are a different design?

I believe that Rob from CZT showed that the curved neck flows better. If you think about it its clear. To compensate for the lower HP curve it would have to breath better. Take a second to think before you post such bulls---. There is no way the IM is making the "KL-01" cams make 200 hp.
65 shot > V8
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Its been said a THOUSAND times the "J-Spec" KL-01 cams make the same power as the KL-31 cams, just at a lower rpm
It has been said that the RPM that both ZE make their peak HP is 6500 RPM. How are the cams making the HP at a lower RPM????
Why do you think the manifolds are a different design?
Because the Manifold is making the Torque at a lower RPM, that is y the Straight neck ZE makes its peak TRQ at 5500 RPM and the Curve neck ZE is making it at 4500 RPM. Yet both make their peak HP at 6500 RPM
Ibelieve that Rob from CZT showed that the curved neck flows better
Thats what i said
To compensate for the lower HP curve it would have to breath better. Take a second to think before you post such bullpoo. There is no way the IM is making the "KL-01" cams make 200 hp.
Lemme ask you one question: Whats the difference between a KL-ZE Straight neck and a KL-DE?? I can gaurentee you nobody will say the only difference is a Manifold and Cams... :lol:

So i'll tell you this:
Take a second to think before you post such bullpoo
dewthis

Post by dewthis »

Because the Manifold is making the Torque at a lower RPM, that is y the Straight neck ZE makes its peak TRQ at 5500 RPM and the Curve neck ZE is making it at 4500 RPM. Yet both make their peak HP at 6500 RPM

Show me some dyno numbers. Where are you getting this info from?
Lemme ask you one question: Whats the difference between a KL-ZE Straight neck and a KL-DE??

Its not just cams and IM. How about better flowing heads, larger exhaust valve, better flowing IM, CAMS, and oh..the 10.1 pistons. Of course you have to think about the ecu also.

You also said you have researched...WHERE? Don't believe everything you read. Get me some concrete dyno numbers or something or someone with creditbility before posting. Everthing you say is PURE speculation.
65 shot > V8
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Show me some dyno numbers. Where are you getting this info from?
I will show you some dyno numbers...because down here in Ventura, we have been dynoing and testing both the curve neck and straight neck ZE's. We have been dynoing both and designing a ECU to get the most power from them.
Its not just cams and IM. How about better flowing heads, larger exhaust valve, better flowing IM, CAMS, and oh..the 10.1 pistons. Of course you have to think about the ecu also.
Exactly what i was saying, the ZE doesn't get 200 HP from Cams and a manifold. It also has other things to get it to 200 HP, the cams are worth ~7WHP over KL-DE cams in a KL-DE Engine.

FYI, the ZE comes with larger INTAKE valves.
You also said you have researched...WHERE? Don't believe everything you read. Get me some concrete dyno numbers or something or someone with creditbility before posting. Everthing you say is PURE speculation.
Oh yeah its pure speculation.. :lol: Like i said i am not some neewbie in the KL engine. I do my research online, and no i don't believe everything online, but if i read something that i believe to be true i will try this and come to my own conclusion after i make sure what i am doing is making more numbers

I will have Dyno numbers soon comparing a KLZE Straigh neck, KLZE Curve neck, and a KLZE (KL-31 Cams) with a curve neck manifold.
As me and my friends all have these combo's, so i guess we will see very soon.[/quote]

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”