MX-3 on a diet!

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
Slammed6

MX-3 on a diet!

Post by Slammed6 »

Well i bought a 1993 MX-3 GS SE and i weighed it in at 2520 lbs with full interior, completly stock, and about 3/4 tank of gas...and after my quick weight reductions and my ZE swap i weighed the car again and now it weights in a 2240 with approx 1/4 tank of gas.

I saved 280 lbs. not bad... :lol:

I removed pretty much the basics: A/C, Power steering, Interior from behind the front seats back, bumper supports front and rear, and full headliner and sun roof.

Can anyone else help me out with an area they found weighed alot?? Thanks
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

you weigthed the same as me EXACT 2240lbs
we remove almost all the same things.

but now I weight more with the turbo stuff :(
Last edited by babyblueMX3 on November 12th, 2005, 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Take a look here - might give you some ideas. http://web.archive.org/web/200406022140 ... weight.htm
Image -Jim
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

I already removed pretty much everything he said. lol

Does anyone know how much the stock GS Leather seats weight???
neutral
Supporting Member

Re: MX-3 on a diet!

Post by neutral »

Slammed6 wrote:Can anyone else help me out with an area they found weighed alot?? Thanks
FWIW, I saved 9-10lbs when replacing the old lead acid battery with a smaller lighter, but similarly CCA rated Optima yellowtop D51R battery. My MX is a 95 RS so don't know if the CCA would be enough for the GS...
Image -Jim
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

true true, well the only thing i really have to worry about that drains the batterey is the power windows...other than that i am sure your RS has just as many options as my Gs now.. :lol:
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

if u got power windows... the little motors are sorta heavy.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
deathman

Post by deathman »

hgallegos915 wrote:if u got power windows... the little motors are sorta heavy.
yup he might loose a 2-3 pound's, unless you leave the whole window regualator out, but the piece of wood you put in to hold the window up might wiegh some thing lol
it's on the probe are now, but it's moving to the mx3 soon.
m62 suercharger, megasqurit, headers,custom exh. 9lb. flywheel, stage3 clutch, & so much more.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1301296/1
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

getting a CF hood could save u 10-15lbs if u dont already have 1
lightweigt rims would also help
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

I believe the power unit for the hatch windshield wiper is kinda heavy.
wazza

Post by wazza »

If you're really serious about stripping weight & don't mind not being able to roll your window down, remove the complete window and the regulator assy, replace the window with 3/16" lexan. Just jam it up int the bailey channel and fix it in place with a "L" shaped bracket screwed to the frame under the lexan's bottom edge with a couple of self tappers. Glass weighs a lot. You could also replace the rear hatch glass with lexan too.
A man's got to know his limitations
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

wazza wrote:If you're really serious about stripping weight & don't mind not being able to roll your window down, remove the complete window and the regulator assy, replace the window with 3/16" lexan. Just jam it up int the bailey channel and fix it in place with a "L" shaped bracket screwed to the frame under the lexan's bottom edge with a couple of self tappers. Glass weighs a lot. You could also replace the rear hatch glass with lexan too.
if he is drivin on streets thats not a good idea as it is not legal. if it were id be doin my rear hatch window :)
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”