Coming Soon! MX-3 Weight Reduction Guide (make requests)

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

wow thats pretty informative..100 lbs bean a couple of good ponies..im going to gut out my reat hatch interoir..spare tire..jack.speaker and rear seats. Im also gutting out the automatic seal belt motors and rear seat belts. Didnt know thye insulation weighed that much. I dont know about exhaust shields..car can get quite hot underneath specially when it rreaches 107 degrees here. Tomorrow ill start gutting it out. Im also taking out the sundoorm motor..doesnt work anyways. Im sure that crap is heavy. Im making the sunroof into a manual sunroof.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

Damn thats pretty informative. Didn't think to pull the crap behind the dash, but yea there is all kinds of padding s--- behind there.

along with teh crap behind the engine in the engine bay that covers the firewall...protective sound deadining s---

But lots of those weights are rounded to the nearest 1/2. not to be anal but saying the rear carpet weighs "1lb" is kinda vaugue. Makes me want to weigh it myself to see what it really weighs ya know. Some of that s--- can add up.

i'm still gonna be removing the rear stuff out completely basically. possibly the carpeting and stuff, but not sure yet.

One thing i gotta remember to weigh is my stock EGR valve and the solenoids/wires. I removed mine, and i'm sure others have too...that crap probably weighs a good 5-10 lbs maybe.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hey Gro,

I dont know if this was mentioned or i missed somone already asking.

But you should weigh the Fiberglass MS bumper. and a OEM bumper without the front lip and with the front lip (or just weight the lip off the bumper)
Ever notice anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?
01-03 Civic Projector Swap Tutorial
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

i plan on it. only problem, i sold my lip :(

i have my stock bumper sitting in my basmeent tho, and i plan to weigh it.

I got a request to weigh the hood. i MIGHT but i dunno..removing it is a pain in the arse.

I might also weigh the rear hatch for kicks, it will be removed soon when I paint the underside of it.
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

Are there any pictures of that car at it's final wieght? The thing must look like a full out racer. . .there isn't much left.
Stock 1995 RS - Creek Blue
Car Meanins:
Honda: Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
FORD: Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Mazda: Must Always Zoom Down Asphalt
RaverChankoMX3

Post by RaverChankoMX3 »

neutral wrote:
Juans_93_MX3 wrote:I remember there was a site a while ago showing how to take off 400lbs.
Anyone got the link?
Luc St. Pier had a weight reduction write-up linked to his GSR page. That's probably what you're remembering. He started by looking for 100 Lbs. wt. reduction, then went on to remove over 250 Lbs. End of '04 Luc cleaned up his MX-3 GSR site and appears to have removed the weight reduction link. http://cafe.rapidus.net/stpierlu/mygsr.htm Look at the bottom of the mods list, last item under "Misc." and you'll see "Weight reduction program / Carbon Fiber diet." Doesn't appear to be linked to the weight reduction write-up any longer. I have an archive copy of Luc's previous write-up around somewhere... will look for it later.

Damn Neutral, I bet you have a 3-Ring Binder full of MX-3 stuff you've printed out, right?=)

I thought I lost that link, then figured he just removed it totally.

Good stuff Chap
RaverChankoMX3

Post by RaverChankoMX3 »

Gro Harlem wrote: I might also weigh the rear hatch for kicks, it will be removed soon when I paint the underside of it.
The whole rear hatch or just the glass? I guess you could take some value out of it, but the glass v. lexan is really what matters. I think someone weighed the glass and it was only 25-30-ish? pounds.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

RaverChankoMX3 wrote:
neutral wrote:
Juans_93_MX3 wrote:I remember there was a site a while ago showing how to take off 400lbs.
Anyone got the link?
Luc St. Pier had a weight reduction write-up linked to his GSR page. That's probably what you're remembering. He started by looking for 100 Lbs. wt. reduction, then went on to remove over 250 Lbs. End of '04 Luc cleaned up his MX-3 GSR site and appears to have removed the weight reduction link. http://cafe.rapidus.net/stpierlu/mygsr.htm Look at the bottom of the mods list, last item under "Misc." and you'll see "Weight reduction program / Carbon Fiber diet." Doesn't appear to be linked to the weight reduction write-up any longer. I have an archive copy of Luc's previous write-up around somewhere... will look for it later.
Damn Neutral, I bet you have a 3-Ring Binder full of MX-3 stuff you've printed out, right?=) I thought I lost that link, then figured he just removed it totally.

Good stuff Chap
Thanx. :oops: Not really a binder, but a few folders and buncha bookmarks on the PC. Old habit that grows with owning older cars I guess & betcha there are many ppl with that habit on this board 8) ... Finding Luc's old MX-3 Diet write-up on http://web.archive.org/web/200406022140 ... weight.htm was fortunate. That archive site is essential when good Web-based info otherwise disappears as happens often.
Image -Jim
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

RaverChankoMX3 wrote:
Gro Harlem wrote: I might also weigh the rear hatch for kicks, it will be removed soon when I paint the underside of it.
The whole rear hatch or just the glass? I guess you could take some value out of it, but the glass v. lexan is really what matters. I think someone weighed the glass and it was only 25-30-ish? pounds.
Yeah it isn't 100+ lbs like some people say it is.

I've removed the hatch BY MYSELF and i'm a thin lanky bastard who couldn't bench 150 if my life depended on it. It probably weighs 70-80 with the glass (but without plastic trim b/c i had to remove it).

I had to remove it to do the paintwork earlier this spring & also install my FUBA antenna. I had to drill out the b ottom part of the hatch to fit the wires and stuff.
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

the stock antenna and the removal of the rear washer pump, container, wiperetc.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
RaverChankoMX3

Post by RaverChankoMX3 »

neutral wrote:
RaverChankoMX3 wrote:
neutral wrote:Luc St. Pier had a weight reduction write-up linked to his GSR page. That's probably what you're remembering. He started by looking for 100 Lbs. wt. reduction, then went on to remove over 250 Lbs. End of '04 Luc cleaned up his MX-3 GSR site and appears to have removed the weight reduction link. http://cafe.rapidus.net/stpierlu/mygsr.htm Look at the bottom of the mods list, last item under "Misc." and you'll see "Weight reduction program / Carbon Fiber diet." Doesn't appear to be linked to the weight reduction write-up any longer. I have an archive copy of Luc's previous write-up around somewhere... will look for it later.
Damn Neutral, I bet you have a 3-Ring Binder full of MX-3 stuff you've printed out, right?=) I thought I lost that link, then figured he just removed it totally.

Good stuff Chap
Thanx. :oops: Not really a binder, but a few folders and buncha bookmarks on the PC. Old habit that grows with owning older cars I guess & betcha there are many ppl with that habit on this board 8) ... Finding Luc's old MX-3 Diet write-up on http://web.archive.org/web/200406022140 ... weight.htm was fortunate. That archive site is essential when good Web-based info otherwise disappears as happens often.
No, no, no brother. I do the same thing, so that's why I picked up on it. Mine's on the shelf right beside me in a binder. I also have a folder that is dedicated to important MX-3 diagrams, pictures, .doc & of course people's cars who are cool to be saved :D
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

the stock antenna weighs almost nothing... I removed it yesterday.

Gro, I ca weigh my front bumper with Signals, lip and the grill for you... I am removing it this weekend :D

I also have a hatch on the side of my house, Ill weigh that as well.

I think a CF hatch would prove very beneficial :D

Oh yeah and my new gf weighs about 20lbs lighter than my ex! :lol:
manowar821
Supporting Member

Post by manowar821 »

A carbon-fiber hatch would be WICKED.
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

I think we'd have enough ppl for a group buy as well... has anyone tried convincing someone to make these??
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

Dont know but id be down for one, shipping would be killer though probably worse than a cf hood.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”