RE: 1.6 L to 2.5 kl-ze swap

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
droz

RE: 1.6 L to 2.5 kl-ze swap

Post by droz »

I really don't care what has to be done...i just need to know what all i have to replace/ add....money and time aren't a concern.... i have thought about putting the gtx engine in but i want all raw horsepower without the help of a turbo... so i thing the 2.5 would be the best option for me to get the most power. I just don't understand why u can swap a 1.6 to a 1.8 or a 1.8 to 2.5 no problem but not a 1.6 to a 2.5.... what makes them so different?
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Well 2 more cylinders to start with. Then there is the entire engine bay wiring harness and the under dash wiring harness both have to be swapped.. The springs and suspension are different and have to be swapped. Master cylinder, clutch actuator rod, your gauge cluster would also need to be swapped (different speedo systems between the 2 models).. This is off the top of my head.. basically you would need to swap everything in the engine bay from one car to the other. At least if you want to do the job properly. If you are inexperienced at major car work, and honestly.. if you have to ask what is so different between a 4cyl and a V6 I have to assume you are inexperienced (no offense intended) its a huge undertaking. As far as finding out a complete list of everything that needs to be done.. very few people have actually done the swap you are asking about simply because for most folks.. its not worth the time. Not to mention them being able to find all the parts required without locating a donor car. But if its what you want to do.. go for it. If you do a bit of searching.. you might find more specific information, you might even get lucky and find a post or two from the few people that have actually done the swap. Best of luck.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
happyclown

Post by happyclown »

Heh, that was my thinking for the longest time.

But there is a difference between the 1.8 you would swap into from a 1.6 and the 1.8 that comes stock with a gs. If you now have a 1.6 SOHC you would be swaping into a 1.8DOHC and they are both inline 4's. The GS's 1.8 is a v6, not a i4. The 1.8 in the gs can be swapped more easly into the 2.5 because its just a bigger v6, the engine bay is made for a v6. The rs is made for an i4 so you can stuff a bigger i4 in there. It is possible but not practical to take a car made for an i4 and put a v6 in, but there will be all kinds of problems that will arise.

If money is no problem buy a project GS. one from a junkyard with a blown motor or something. Then have that 2.5 swapped in. It will mean less frustration.
1993 RS Teal
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

uhh with tuning you can get more hp outta a bpt than a klze,
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”