Xenon light question

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
pyccak

Xenon light question

Post by pyccak »

Hey mx-3 drivers. I was wondering if someone in here could help me with xenon lights. I don't know what kind I need for mine. I think it was something with 9002 or 9004.
Thanx now already for any replies.
Taras

Post by Taras »

9002 does not exist, 9004 is what Mx-3 uses in USA/Canada, in short though:

Do Not Waste Your Money
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

You can get these at Canadian Tire and there are those who give them high praise.
http://www.costore.com/performanceshop/ ... pid=250725

Here's another option, but like Taras said, not a lot of viable options out there. It's the fluted lenses that's the catalyst in poor lighting.
http://www.brightheadlights-hid.com/hid-9004.htm
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Taras

Post by Taras »

jschrauwen wrote: It's the fluted lenses that's the catalyst in poor lighting.

Yeah, don't give them any ideas that by replacing the front lens, they will get a better beam though. It's not a lightsource that is the problem (well, may be 9004's are bad) but it's the optics that are inefficient. Stick a brighter lightsource in crappy optics and you still get poor lighting.

PS: John, have you been getting my emails?
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
pyccak

Post by pyccak »

Thanx for the replies guys. So you guys say that the xenon would suck no matter what kind I buy for my car. Are there any other bulbs I could buy that would work better and look better then the stock once?
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

pyccak wrote:Thanx for the replies guys. So you guys say that the xenon would suck no matter what kind I buy for my car. Are there any other bulbs I could buy that would work better and look better then the stock once?
Like Taras said, we have a number of shortcomings with our lighting system that makes it near impossible to remedy. The replacement light bulbs that I previously mentioned are OK and there will be some observed improvement. The problem is that first, our system uses the 9004 bulb - recognized as probably the worst choice in automotive applications, second, the reflector design is below par and was designed to work in conjuntion with the fluted lense covers to give a pseudo North American approved beam pattern. The E-Spec and J-Spec MX lights, although they retained the fluted lense it's of a different design than ours, as well, the reflector is also a dIfferent therefore giving a much better beam pattern, but this is also coupled to the fact that the J-Spec and E-Spec lights utilize H4 and not 9004 bulbs. H4 are a much better bulb...not the best, but better. To really get better quality illumination, sourcing J/E-Spec lights is one option, doing a radical mod using civic lights (which there are many examples of on this BB), or if you got the time, patience, a few tools and a little DIY savy, try sourcing a second hand set of lights and attempt to modify the insides of the original MX lights to accept Xenon, BiXenon HID's, halogen projectors, whatever you want to source and feel that you can make fit. This would entail gutting the inside of the shell and making the appropriate cuts to the back of the shell to accomodate your new light sources. The lense's will have to have the flutes sanded down to clear or source a clear plastic protective cover for them..your choice.
As you can see, there are not a lot of choices to be had to improve our lighting system. Other ventures like re-wiring the original lights with new quality relays and heavier guage wires connecting directly to the battery is one improvement idea. It's a calculated given that for every small drop in voltage in the lighting system theres a substantial drop percentage...sometime up to 20-30%. That's the equivelant of running the DRL's. Re-doing the cars engine bay grounding wire system will also yeild an improvement not only to the headlights but all other electric/electronic devices.
So there's a few ideas to look at.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”