What do you guys think about street racing?

Off-Topic Discussions
manowar821
Supporting Member

Post by manowar821 »

I'd really like to see every place have a drag strip that people could go to for free... And legally gamble. However, they are soo fricking far away, it's not worth the money and gas and time to get there whenever you feel like showing someone their place. Not to mention all the rules and the fact that the places aren't always open.
This idea of free racing venues everwhere won't happen though, and if it does, it will take a LONG time... We'll be out of gasoline on this planet before there are free tracks for all. (approx 30 years from now, we will be out of petrol)

It wont go away, and it actually doesn't bother me too much... I've been to a couple underground type events, late at night, out west of the cities. There aren't any innocent people there, it's better that way... All we can hope for (realisticly) is that people get smarter, and stop flooring it in rush hour and on downtown streets that aren't blocked off. I wish there weren't so many idiots with cars... Then the cops would probably look past the outskirt races. That would be sweet.
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I agree with some of you guys
1. The goverment needs to make more tracks, places where we can street race. Just like you guys, I have a track that is about 40 minutes away and it costs me $20 bucks. Heck no, why go all the way over there if I can do it on the street. Plus, I dont need to be going 100mph to enjoy myself. I am cool by betting a car at 75mph

2. Yes it is dangerous but the chances of someone getting killed is very very small. Infact, whenever I hear of people getting killed on a street race, its because there stupid enough to, A.)do it out in the rain B.)they have 10 second cars they are street racing C.)they do it in a very busy street or D.)they go over 80mph, infact, all the way to 120mph

dangerous speeds, dangerous conditions, dangerous times and places to do it and dangerous cars with way too much power to be racing on the street.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Heck no, why go all the way over there if I can do it on the street.
I am glad you dont live near me :shock: I used to race on the street but after watching that Bike accident.. that totally changed my POV on it. Personally if you cant keep from street racing, then you shouldnt be driving on the road. What will you do if you do somehow hurt or kill someone? Will you be able to live with yourself? Will you look back at that "Very Very" small chance and say its worth it? You say that people get killed because they are stupid enough to street race in bad conditions or busy streets, well here is a wake up call dude.. there are NO good conditions for street racing period. There are too many variables that you cant possibly account for all of which carry deadly repercussions. I am very glad you live in Utah and not near me.

I am not talking about speeding here.. I am talking about actively competeing against another driver on public streets. Not some weeny stop light to stop light race but if you and another car are racing down any public street at any time of the day or night because you are too dang cheap to go to a track. I can only hope its you that ends up in the hospital and not a innocent bystander. Stop being so arrogant, the control you think you have over your car is an illusion and nothing more. Just my two cents.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Wait, do you think I race where there is a crowd involved?
I race like a weeney, stop light to stop light
Anyway, you do make some good points.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

what is being said here is it doesnt matter if theres a crowd.

I'll give you a scenario:

you and the other car are barreling down the road at 75mph. At the same time "Jack", "Jill" and little baby "John" an unsuspecting family are out for a walk. You dont see them because they are around the corner when you begin your race. You get to the intersection they are crossing and plow into the entire family killing them instantly. There was no crowd here, just a family spending some time together with a walk. You dont have time to react at 75 mph and stop your car. The only way to guarantee nobody will get hurt is to take it to the track. It is a controlled environment. The street isnt.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

On my way home from work I thought of an appropriate analogy. Say you are forced to be in an audience watching a juggler perform. He is juggling 4 vials of liquid, one vial contains bubonic plague, one contains hydrochloric acid, the third contains mustard gas and the 4th vial contains water. Remember.. you are being forced to watch this guy juggle these 4 vials.. its possible he will be successful and not drop or break any of them.. but do you think its fair that you are being forced to watch him? If he breaks vial #1.. your dead, game over. If he breaks vial #2, he could maim you for life. If he breaks vial #3, you might not die.. but you will definately be hurting for a good while and if he breaks #4, no harm done.

When you are behind the wheel of a car and you are street racing in a populated public place.. you are the juggler, and everyone else is the audience.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

Tunes67 wrote:On my way home from work I thought of an appropriate analogy. Say you are forced to be in an audience watching a juggler perform. He is juggling 4 vials of liquid, one vial contains bubonic plague, one contains hydrochloric acid, the third contains mustard gas and the 4th vial contains water. Remember.. you are being forced to watch this guy juggle these 4 vials.. its possible he will be successful and not drop or break any of them.. but do you think its fair that you are being forced to watch him? If he breaks vial #1.. your dead, game over. If he breaks vial #2, he could maim you for life. If he breaks vial #3, you might not die.. but you will definately be hurting for a good while and if he breaks #4, no harm done.

When you are behind the wheel of a car and you are street racing in a populated public place.. you are the juggler, and everyone else is the audience.

Tunes67
well put.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

You guys made some very good point and changed some of my thoughts on street racing.
Like I said, I dont street race much, probably every now and then, but now, after reading what some of you guys said I will probably just stop
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

manowar821 wrote:I'd really like to see every place have a drag strip that people could go to for free... And legally gamble. However, they are soo fricking far away, it's not worth the money and gas and time to get there whenever you feel like showing someone their place. Not to mention all the rules and the fact that the places aren't always open.
This idea of free racing venues everwhere won't happen though, and if it does, it will take a LONG time... We'll be out of gasoline on this planet before there are free tracks for all. (approx 30 years from now, we will be out of petrol)

It wont go away, and it actually doesn't bother me too much... I've been to a couple underground type events, late at night, out west of the cities. There aren't any innocent people there, it's better that way... All we can hope for (realisticly) is that people get smarter, and stop flooring it in rush hour and on downtown streets that aren't blocked off. I wish there weren't so many idiots with cars... Then the cops would probably look past the outskirt races. That would be sweet.
I just returned from a weekend trip to the cities. My dad lives in Burnsville, but we stayed in Minneapolis at the best western downtown. On the way over to my fathers I saw 5 sets of ricer's racing right on 35W south right in the middle of a ton of traffic(near construction on 62 it was very congested) nearly all of them almost sideswiped or rearended someone. It seemed to me that the twin cities area has a lot of street racers. Any time I got on any major highway(94, 35W, 35E, 5, etc) I was challenged and a victim of the "ricer fly-by". the crazy thing is that the cops seemed oblivious to this the whole time. Just wondering if Minneapolis has that huge of a street racing scene? Or if there was some sort of event going on.
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
manowar821
Supporting Member

Post by manowar821 »

93SOHC wrote:
manowar821 wrote:I'd really like to see every place have a drag strip that people could go to for free... And legally gamble. However, they are soo fricking far away, it's not worth the money and gas and time to get there whenever you feel like showing someone their place. Not to mention all the rules and the fact that the places aren't always open.

I just returned from a weekend trip to the cities. My dad lives in Burnsville, but we stayed in Minneapolis at the best western downtown. On the way over to my fathers I saw 5 sets of ricer's racing right on 35W south right in the middle of a ton of traffic(near construction on 62 it was very congested) nearly all of them almost sideswiped or rearended someone. It seemed to me that the twin cities area has a lot of street racers. Any time I got on any major highway(94, 35W, 35E, 5, etc) I was challenged and a victim of the "ricer fly-by". the crazy thing is that the cops seemed oblivious to this the whole time. Just wondering if Minneapolis has that huge of a street racing scene? Or if there was some sort of event going on.
AHH yes, here in the TwinCities it is a little crazy, especially right now when it's getting really nice out. There is a place in St Paul called the Midway area... A lot of the racers, and a lot of the ricers meet here. Then go off to other places.. We actually have a fairly okay racing scene here (if you are curious of different cities racing scenes, haha) I like seeing the guys with nice cars who AREN'T being idiots, it's cool. I don't like seeing kids with 89 civics with rust and a wing almost nailing people.
I wish there was a big track around here... A drag strip and a road track, that would be sweet...
Uhm, to answer you question, yes there is a big racing scene here, we have nice roads and interesting turns, no smog laws, and no laws against radar/laser detectors... It's no-mans land! We are actually more known for the biker scene! Every summers night the crotch rockets meet at places like gas stations and diners. It's an interesting sight.
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

Every citie has their idoit driver that drives to excess and cause an accident or hurt aninnocent person but were I am from we have had more cops make stupid decisions driving and wreck there cars and hurt innocent people and I say this because it's not just street racing that causes unfortunate events it's driving in general. Everyday when each and everyone one of you get in you car or even wake up for that matter there is a chance something bad will happen but that is the risk that everyone chooses to take everyday. If everyone in the world was responsible enough to be safe than we would be more overpopulated than were are now which would cause severe econmical problems, unfortunatly people die every day which is what has to happen to keep the world in a form of balance. Yes death is sad but it's the only thing you are guarenteed after you are born. yes there are many variables that can cause death while street racing but there also many variables that can cause death when getting out of bed. Sorry if I offend anyone just trying to make a point that everything is a risk but people don't put warnings on everthing.
P.S. For all those who have lost someone I am sorry.
manowar821
Supporting Member

Post by manowar821 »

V8KOMX3 wrote:Yes death is sad but it's the only thing you are guarenteed after you are born.
I kind of like that :o
so true
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

V8KOMX3 wrote:Yes death is sad but it's the only thing you are guarenteed after you are born.
That is true, but a truly depressing way to look at life, IMO
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

Juans_93_MX3 wrote:I agree with some of you guys
1. The goverment needs to make more tracks, places where we can street race. Just like you guys, I have a track that is about 40 minutes away and it costs me $20 bucks. Heck no, why go all the way over there if I can do it on the street. Plus, I dont need to be going 100mph to enjoy myself. I am cool by betting a car at 75mph

2. Yes it is dangerous but the chances of someone getting killed is very very small. Infact, whenever I hear of people getting killed on a street race, its because there stupid enough to, A.)do it out in the rain B.)they have 10 second cars they are street racing C.)they do it in a very busy street or D.)they go over 80mph, infact, all the way to 120mph

dangerous speeds, dangerous conditions, dangerous times and places to do it and dangerous cars with way too much power to be racing on the street.
they're under influence of drugs, like this local guy that killed passenger girl when he crashed into power tower at over 70mph
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
jplar

Post by jplar »

Tunes67 wrote:... He is juggling 4 vials of liquid, one vial contains bubonic plague, one contains hydrochloric acid, the third contains mustard gas and the 4th vial contains water.
I drive as if the juggler is juggling 4 vials of bubonic plague and he lost an eye.
Juans_93_MX3 wrote:1. The goverment needs to make more tracks, places where we can street race.
I don't think the government is the answer for everything. I'm sure if a person looking to make money thought they could through opening a race track, they would. But racing as a sport isn't as lucrative or popular as say, baseball.
Juans_93_MX3 wrote:I am cool by betting a car at 75mph .... D.)they go over 80mph...
I fail to see how going five miles slower will make any real world difference when speeds are in excess of figures you described.

As for street racing, it's comletely useless as it only takes once to end a person's life. If a person think he/she could live with that guilt, or lack moral fortitude to care, please let me know where you live and I'll be sure to stay away.

Return to “Off-Topic”