KL Intake Manifolds??

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Slammed6

KL Intake Manifolds??

Post by Slammed6 »

OK, i have done several KLZe swaps for Probetalk.com and Mx6.com owners, and i recently purchased a 1993 Mx-3 GS, and am wanting to swap a KLZE in there, but i notice u guys have clearance issues with the Straight-neck KLZE manifold. And i believe i read on here that the KL-03 manifold will work on the Mx-3.

Now my question is this between the manifold that will fit on the MX-3....which one flows the best, or should i say will get a better HP out of??

So the Straigh neck manifold is outta the question i was planning on using my OEM 1.8 V-6 manifold...will this reduce a great amount of HP, or would i be better off using a KL-03 manifold??

Thank you
-Devin
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Those with the 1.8 manifold have had great power loss. The only two U.S. spec that fit are the 93-97 KLDE off the Probe/MX6/626 and the 98-02 626 manifold with some slight modification. A person or two have gotten the long neck to work, but I believe they had to shim the back of thier engine up as well as relocate the battery. Most people with KLZE just get a Millenia manifold, which fits similar to the stock K8 manifold, but has square KLZE runners. Some will get the Jap spec Millenia engine whole from the importer and call it a day. The Jap spec Millenia uses KL01 cams still, but has 10:1 pistons. So a few options there, just depends on where you want to go with it.
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

wouldnt the millenia one be the erd us spec one too
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

something doesn't mix. You say you've done several swaps yet you don't even know the basics of the k-series engines?

since klze = square ports and klde and k8de manifolds = oval ports of course using one with the other is going to ruin the flow dynamics.

you want a square port curved neck manifold from a eunos 800 or millenia like everyone here runs.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

papa roached wrote:wouldnt the millenia one be the erd us spec one too
There's a US Millenia manifold and a Jap Spec Millenia manifold. Both are similar, but slightly different. For starters, you'd want a Jap spec Millenia TB for the Jap spec Millenia IM, and US = US.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

lakersfan1 wrote:
For starters, you'd want a Jap spec Millenia TB for the Jap spec Millenia IM, and US = US.
I mixed match both and no problems (tb and intake)
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

babyblueMX3 wrote:
lakersfan1 wrote:
For starters, you'd want a Jap spec Millenia TB for the Jap spec Millenia IM, and US = US.
I mixed match both and no problems (tb and intake)
You can if you screw with the IAC, but I personally would rather just hook them up the way god intended and not have to tap or cap that big of a vacuum line.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

oh wait a minute..I thought you were saying j-spec tb vs us spec tb but both millenia..never mind..I don't know how to read
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Gro Harlem wrote:something doesn't mix. You say you've done several swaps yet you don't even know the basics of the k-series engines?

since klze = square ports and klde and k8de manifolds = oval ports of course using one with the other is going to ruin the flow dynamics.

you want a square port curved neck manifold from a eunos 800 or millenia like everyone here runs.
Well of course i know i am not gonna get as much HP outta the engine by taking the KLZE stariaght neck manifold off.

I was asking this because i have a KL-03 and the factory 1.8 Manifold. And i was looking to see which one will give the most HP between the 2 for fitment issues. I know it would be better to buy the millenia, but i guess i frazed the question wrong.

Any thoughts on this??
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

heres how I see the question:

I've done swaps on probes and mx6 and used the ZE straight neck manifolds cause they work in those cars. I just bought an mx3 and am doing my first ZE to mx3 swap I've read on here that the straight neck will have some issues with fitment due to the master cylinder being in the way. Is there anything you can suggest I do to make it fit better without losing power. I have a K8 manifold and KL03 manifold which would yeild me less power loss.

Maybe wording it that way will help with answers?

But yeah the millenia manifold is the one you want if you dont want power loss.
RaverChankoMX3

Post by RaverChankoMX3 »

I don't see what you're asking that hasn't already been answered (in this thread alone).
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

lakersfan1 wrote:A person or two have gotten the long neck to work, but I believe they had to shim the back of thier engine up as well as relocate the battery.
skdrcr

Post by skdrcr »

This is all new to me.

How much hp do you guys think I'm losing running the
stock 1.8 manifold and throttle body?

What year Millenas can I get the IM out of?
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

I dont know what years off-hand.

I have read before that you're losing an easy 15-20hp with the K8 Manifold.. :?
rebel2k4

Post by rebel2k4 »

Yeah if you have to choose, go with the KLDE over the K8. For starters, the KLDE has a larger TB.

Anyone looking, I have a curved neck intake mani complete with TB and all the goodies.
94 Mazda MX3 GS - 395 whp 397 ft lbs untuned on pump gas and stock KLDE 15 psi boost. now running 16 psi and E85.. numbers=? 425ish whp
04 GSXR 600- full exh, power commander 3, int turn signals, etc
98 Ford Ranger 3.0L
01 YZ250- most fun vehicle Ive ever owned.
95 Eclipse- built 420a, 60-1, megasquirt, 371 whp @ 17 psi, dsm-broken-car-curse

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”