KLZE Swap - Extra Millenia IM Vacuum/Solenoid Stuff

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
millaj01

KLZE Swap - Extra Millenia IM Vacuum/Solenoid Stuff

Post by millaj01 »

Hey Guys,

I posted earlier about the KLZE swap I'm having done...the new engine's been prepped and things are moving along (I'll post re: that in a different thread soon). Question the garage doing the swap had for me was in regards to the intake manifold to put on the KLZE. I told them to use the new Millenia one that came with the engine, of course. They weren't sure if they should use it when they pulled it, though, because of the differences between the old and new in terms of vacuum line hookups and extra electronics they found attached to the new one. They weren't sure how to accomodate these differences (or the best way, anyways).

Now I know Gro had a thread on this subject over a year ago, so I hope I'm not rehashing something that's common knowledge. I know there are various IMs and I don't know if anyone had a known approach/solution to the particular one I've got.

In any case, below are pictures of the old K8 manifold, and then my new Millenia manifold. I've highlighted the Millenia picture to indicate the extra hardware that's not on the K8 manifold. Another item of note is that there are remnants of some wiring harness attached to this hardware, but of course it's been severed short from when the engine was pulled from the original car it came from. Thanks in advance for any advice on this!

K8 Manifold:

New Millenia Manifold:

'93 MX-3 GS Image
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

What electronics hookups? Both should just have a pair of VRIS solenoids on it. That's all the electronics that should be on K series manifolds.

As far as vacuum hookups ..... it's not brain surgery. If a vacuum hose went on a runner before, put it on the new manifold's runner. If it was on the main body of the intake, put it somewhere on the body of the new one. If you get spare vacuum nipples, plug them. If you need more, split one into two.
millaj01

Post by millaj01 »

lakersfan1 wrote:What electronics hookups? Both should just have a pair of VRIS solenoids on it. That's all the electronics that should be on K series manifolds.
I apologize for not being better informed about the intake manifold setups on our cars...I haven't had to work with them before. I know conceptually what VRIS is and does, but I haven't had to deal with the actual parts that make it up. So the area I have highlighted in red on the new IM is actually the two VRIS solenoids....And I'm guessing they're located on the old IM as well, but in a different position? I wasn't looking closely enough at the two when I had them in front of me.

In any case, I'm assuming the severed wiring that runs to these solenoids on the new intake is not an issue as he probably disconnected the lead in question from the old IM prior to pulling the engine, and it's something hanging loose in my engine bay that he should be able to reconnect from the old wiring harness? Hope that's a correct assumption.
'93 MX-3 GS Image
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

No need to apologize ! I also needed this great info!! thanks for posting :D
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

No need to apologize ! I also needed this great info!! thanks for posting :D
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Oh Oh...Hector is stuttering again...LOL
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
wyldside
Supporting Member
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by wyldside »

Yeah the hook ups are the same. The Vacuum chamber's are different. Just keep the Millenia Vacuum chamber on it and the current VRIS setup. Plug your stock wiring harness into the Millenia VRIS Controllers (the part you have highlighted in red). You may also have to plug the EGR ports on the back of the intake and the large hole underneith it. There should be a vacuum diagram floating around somewhere on this forum. The hook ups are quite similar.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

1992 Seal-Gray MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :mrgreen:
1992 White MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :( Worklog (Parting out)
1993 Blaze Red MX-3 GS - RIP :cry:
millaj01

Post by millaj01 »

Thanks for providing the details on this. I'm stilling trying to validate this curved IM is the right one for a KLZE (and further proof that I got the correct engine). Are you able to tell if this looks like a valid manifold to come mated to a ZE? Thanks in advance....
'93 MX-3 GS Image
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

ya that thread i posted awhile ago has all the vac hookups at least.

u just use the solenoids just like on your K8. you might have to unravel part of the engine harness to be able to reach the solenoids but other than that, the stuff should bolt right up and work fine.

Just be sure you plug all the open vaccuum nipples that aren't used
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
wyldside
Supporting Member
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by wyldside »

This manifold will match up to the KLZE just fine. The only thing I would recommend is getting an Intake Manifold Gasket set for a 1995 Millenia. This will have square runners that will match the KLZE as well. Also the straight neck Intake manifold that comes with the KLZE (usually the MS8 version) usually has a strange metal vaccuum pipe section under it. Don't use this. Just use what has come with the Millenia intake. You were lucky enough to get an intake manifold with all the parts on it. My millenia intake didn't, so I had to custom fit everything from the straight neck onto the millenia one. What a pain...
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

1992 Seal-Gray MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :mrgreen:
1992 White MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :( Worklog (Parting out)
1993 Blaze Red MX-3 GS - RIP :cry:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”