Timing Belt Question

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mpertz

Timing Belt Question

Post by mpertz »

I have a MX3 GS and the car has been stoped for about 6 months. When I went to start it not long ago it would not start. I changed all the spark plugs and put new gas. The car finally started after a lil work and was idle for about 2 mins till the timing belt snaped. The car was idle and was not moving when the timing belt snaped, is it possible that the valves still bent even though the car was idle?? :?: The car has 270,000 KM on it. I'm not sure if I should just change the engine to a klze insted of tryin to fix it. :?: If anyone can help me id appriciate it.
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

the K8 is a non-interference engine... meaning that the valves will not be affected by a timing belt snap. Just pull the old one off and put a new one on and you're good to go.
T4TURBO

Post by T4TURBO »

is that the case with the klde?
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

yes sir as far as I know all K series motors (I dunno about the KJ) are non interference.
ManoWar

Post by ManoWar »

bmwm3guy wrote:the K8 is a non-interference engine... meaning that the valves will not be affected by a timing belt snap. Just pull the old one off and put a new one on and you're good to go.
You sure someone told me that due to the angle of the pistons it might hit the valves. Also what would happen (if indeed its non interfeering) if it snaps at 5000rpm?
wyldside
Supporting Member
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by wyldside »

At that RPM nothing will be damaged but there will most definitly be one hell of a terrible noise. The engine will emidiately quit since the cams will stop turning therefor no more sparking from the distributor and fuel from the injectors. The ECU would not be getting propper signal either since the distributor is no longer turning. You'd simply come to a rolling stop. It's not something that I would want to experience but that is generally what will happen. Make sure you set the timing correctly when you reinstall that belt.
Last edited by wyldside on May 10th, 2005, 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

1992 Seal-Gray MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :mrgreen:
1992 White MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :( Worklog (Parting out)
1993 Blaze Red MX-3 GS - RIP :cry:
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

Non-interference means non-interference, it doesn't matter if it snaps at 700 rpm or 7000rpm.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Why would it make a difference? The timming belt is just to syncronise the valves with the strokes of the pistons, so when the belt snaps, they just get out of sync, but nothing hits, besides, he valves are designed to 7000+ RPMs (hence the engine's redline), so nothing will happen, the car will just stall

My sister learned the hard way when her timing belt snaped on her '93 2.3L Prelude, bent 10 valves. My dad and my cousin hook it apart and put it back together, and apparently, my dad said, that where are grooves in the pistons for the valves, i guess the clearance is that small on her engine.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

Rick Johnson wrote:Non-interference means non-interference, it doesn't matter if it snaps at 700 rpm or 7000rpm.
Snapping it at 7 grand is scary :cry: haha That was my K8's last revolution.

RIP :lol:
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

did u know that according to the SAE cheets of the K series design, they ran a KL @ a steady 8900 RPM w/ o out any problems (they said with slight modifications but i dont know what the mods were).
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Probably just a minor adjustment to the valve train to offset valve float at the higher RPMS'.. but thats just speculation.

Tunes67
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

snapping belts is still not good for the engine, but at least you won't have a piston fly into your cylinder head
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Tunes67 wrote:Probably just a minor adjustment to the valve train to offset valve float at the higher RPMS'.. but thats just speculation. Tunes67
Stronger return springs you mean.

Had the timing belt on a one year old (dare I say it) MPV jump a bunch of teeth on engine start in the dead of winter and again non-interfearance on that 3.0L V6 = nothing hit or broke.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

Custommx3 wrote:did u know that according to the SAE cheets of the K series design, they ran a KL @ a steady 8900 RPM w/ o out any problems (they said with slight modifications but i dont know what the mods were).
I don't doubt that at all, and if you think about it, the K8 has even smaller pistons so it should be able to rev even higher...

anyone know how to remove the rev limiter, I'm trying to blow my motor up.... I might as well see what 8000rpms plus nitrous does.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Actually John.. there are a number of things that can be done to adjust for and prevent valve float.. Stronger valve springs are indeed one adjustment.. Solid lifters, shims (under the valve spring thus raising the deck height - results in stronger springs), less aggressive cam profiles.. rocker arm / cam follower assemblies (non-mx-3 applications) lots of adjustments can be made to prevent valve float :) Sometimes it requires more than just one adjustment as well.. might need a combination of adjustments to get the RPM range you are shooting for. Cheers.

Tunes67

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”