Dual Exhaust Question

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Absath

Dual Exhaust Question

Post by Absath »

Let's just say I know next to nothing about exhaust systems (We'll say this because it's true).

Now let's say I have a Pacesetter Monza exhaust. If I were to buy a Hi flow catalytic converter that has one in and two outs (something like this) , would I then be able to run a second pipe to a second muffler on the other side of the car, therefore having a dual exhaust?

And most importantly... would there be any point to doing this? Performance-wise?
Don't park drunk, accidents cause people.

92 Blaze Red MX-3 GS, KL-ZE, ACT Clutch, KL 36 ECU, SS Clutch Line
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

hmm i think it would make your car sound like one of those ford tauros cars with dual muffler..like a truck..performance wise..i doubt it.. but you never know.. that wouldnt be my style but well its ur call..:)
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

I plan on splitting mine at the resonator. 1 2.5" in, dual 2" out. I think it'll be pretty even with a single custom exhaust performance-wise, but the extra weight is a factor. I'm doing it for the look though, cause I really like how it'll turn out with the kit I'm getting.
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
Absath

Post by Absath »

Well, to be perfectly honest, my main concern was the big fat tip that the monza exhaust comes with. You always see these crappy, beatdown hondas and acuras but they have this huge stupid tip on the exhaust. It's totally turned me off of the style.

I really like the dual tip look that the stock exhaust came with, and I just found a pacesetter dual-tip so I guess I could just get that.

Am I correct in assuming that a hi-flow cat would still be a good thing to get?
Don't park drunk, accidents cause people.

92 Blaze Red MX-3 GS, KL-ZE, ACT Clutch, KL 36 ECU, SS Clutch Line
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Yes.. a high flow cat would be a good step in reducing your exaust back pressure.

There is a VERY interesting read about exaust systems in the V6 FAQ forum. Before making any changes.. I would recommend reading it. Its a bit jumbled up at the moment.. but the information is solid and very insightful. Best of luck.

Tunes67
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

HEY!!!! my mom has a dual exhaust taurus!!!! haha it dont sound like anything.. :lol:
Last edited by solo_ryder on April 23rd, 2005, 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

A bit jumbled up? I'll rewrite it!
No more MX-3.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”