Euro tails fogging

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
solo_ryder

Euro tails fogging

Post by solo_ryder »

I am sure there is topics all over the place but the search doesnt work very good. I just got some euro's (got em for a good deal new, so i had to ) and I washed my car and now the passenger one leaks. I guess I have to re-seal em. any istructions on how to do so?
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Your refering to the altezza tail lights? Some are not made all that well when it came to the sealing. Taking the light unit out after removing the bulbs and try drying it out with a hair dryer / heat gun (very low heat) or controlled compressed air. Once she's bone dry, run a bead of silicone all around. If they are chrome - probably clear would be good, if black of CF I would use a black silicone. Did mine before they were even installed, a nice recommendation from this BB.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

ya there clear :? but w/e i was thinkin of running a bead around the outside... all i gotta do now is dry em. thx.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

If you live in a dusty area like mine and have black tails.. use black for any meabns..clear collects to much dirt and it decays..only do the edge where the lens has the holes.. also..some idiot backed into my car cracking my light./. I had to silicone the edle until i get a new pair... argh
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

That suks man, Ya i got clear, sohuld i use clear? will u notice the black silicone?
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

F*&@ Iw blow dry'd them last nioght and i put them outside after work today and they fogged up hella again, so i guess i gotta put em in the oven? or what?
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

This is buggin me to the max, they have alot of moisture inside...anyone got any ideas how to get it out?
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

i had mine in the oven and when u get the lense off you will see why it leaks so bad... the bead of sealant they used is so small it dosent keep anything out..... unfortunatly i broke one of my lenses prying it off, its a PITA

bake on 400 degrees for at least 15 minutes, you would think it would melt them but it dosent :D and then be very very careful prying the lense off, once its off u will see where to silicone it, probably best to use clear stuff

(if u underbake and try prying it might crack like mine did so get it nice and hot)
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Ya i stuck mine in for on 300 and stuck it in for like 3 min and it was hot! f---, hot about if i let it sit will the moisture come out????? then I could just bead the outside to s---..u broke ur lense? how u get a new one?
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

To me, those tails should never go in the oven. Try a heat gun from Crappy tire. You'll find a multitude of uses for it in the future. The moisture has to finde an easy route out. Have the bulb socket opennings pointed straight up for a more effective evaporative effect. Straight air from a compressor would probably be the most effective, IMO.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Hmm yea, I didnt realize how much I was swearing on my previous email haha oops. Well yea, It seems to be getting better, If I do heat it up and take some of the seal out, will that allow enough air to get out so there is no more moisture and them I can reseal around the edge???? JS u seem to be the master of this can u help??? :D
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

jschrauwen wrote:To me, those tails should never go in the oven. Try a heat gun from Crappy tire. You'll find a multitude of uses for it in the future. The moisture has to finde an easy route out. Have the bulb socket opennings pointed straight up for a more effective evaporative effect. Straight air from a compressor would probably be the most effective, IMO.
hey john,

i think you may be the first i've heard who's advised against stickin em in the oven. what's the reason? i've got a pair in the mail too...

-Jim
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I dont suggest it either, I have almost done it, but I thnk it could wreck some of the finish and possiblt warp them. i just didnt want to do it because I didnt want to break them. I came home today and mine were all dried out so I am gonna let it sit one more day then silicone the outer edges with clear silicone.
mx almere

Post by mx almere »

The original tail lights had some ventilation from the back, but I guess the euro tails had to be cheap. Drill a small hole from the back to get the ventilation going. The fog will clear up in a matter of days and it will stay gone.
Wilhelm_Fink

Post by Wilhelm_Fink »

Somebody recently posted pics of their mx3 with the altezza lens completley removed (he reffered to them as "shaved altezzas"), it looked OK on his car, and obviously NO MORE MISTING, Yeah! :D

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”